Chapter 8

I was coming home late one night; I had been down at Anna's mother's apothecary visiting. She and her mother had moved out of the house a few weeks before. I missed her terribly and went to visit often.  Anna was really the only true friend I had in town, the other girls my age were treated as children the majority of the time. Though I was brought up a lady; matured early in my life.

        Once the carriage pulled up to my house, I thanked the driver and ran inside, hoping not to anger father.  I hadn't told father yet about my realization about Kathrine, even though a few days had passed. I want to tell him so bad. It irked me that Katherine acted as if nothing happened, as if she truly believed that I had forgotten. She continued to talk and gossip to me, as if we were friends.  Damon always looked at me with curious eyes, and he was the reason that I hadn't confronted Katherine. He was always worried about my safety. I had an idea that if I confronted her, I may not live to see the next morning light. 

        "There have been too many deaths! It's time to take action!" I heard my father yell from his study as attempted to sneak past it. I moved towards the door to listen. 

        "Yes Giuseppe, we understand. These monsters must be dealt with. But we must be smart. They are intelligent monsters." I heard a woman say. Honoria Fell perhaps? "I have taken a case of vervain elixir the apothecary in town and asked that it be sold at a reduced rate. Hopefully the town's people will ingest it and it will expose these evil creatures." 

            Vervain? What in Hell was vervain? 

        "Yes well that will be of help but I have also created a tracking device." Another man spoke. Invented? Must be Jonathan Gilbert. 

           "A compass?" Honoria asked. 

        "And we're supposed to believe that can track one of them?" My father's voice came through again. 

        "But is it magic?" Yet another mans voice came through. Barnette Lockwood. 

        "It's science." Jonathan answered. 

        "I'll believe it when I see it." Mr. Lockwood retorted bitterly. 

        "I've been thinking about this church idea-" I didn't get to hear the rest of father's words because I heard someone coming towards the door. I ran quickly to the other end of the hall to hide when I saw Stefan come to the door and open it. 

        "Excuse me father, I didn't know you had guests." Stefan said sheepishly, backing up out of the door way slightly.

        I decided that I had heard enough. I ran up to my room and pulled out my diary. The only person that I can confide in without the worry of being injured or others around me being hurt. 

'Dear Diary,  

I'm not sure what to make of what I just heard. My father and the council know more about the monsters then they are letting on, so I guess convincing father of what I know will not be as difficult as I assumed it would. I wish to be able to know everything that they know. I might ask father. If these monsters they speak of are the same as Katherine, then they must know what she is. They must be warned.  

I have also learned that these vampires have a weakness, something called Vervain. I must do more research on it but I will find out how to stop these demons. I will help my brothers.'