Chapter 16

Just as I could feel the cool blade begin to penetrate the skin on my wrist,  I heard a loud noise from downstairs. It scared me so much that I dropped the knife and ran downstairs. Leaving my room for the first time in more than 24 hours. As I came into the parlor, I could hear my father moaning from his office. Once I ran to the office, I peaked through the door to see a man, leaning over my father, licking his fingers. I could see the shudder rippling through him as he then bent down and bit father in his stomach. 

        I grabbed a wooden stake from the desk as I ran in. ''Excuse me!'' I screamed. I wanted to look at the monster before I killed him. The man turned towards me, his eyes as Katherine's had been, the veins showing under his eyes. I almost dropped my stake once I got a good look at his face. It was Stefan. He was alive. Well, I guess not alive, but I could see him. ''Stefan.'' I whispered. I lowered the stake in my hands. 

        ''How do you know me?'' He asked still bearing his fangs, his voice somewhat of a snarl. 

        I looked at him confused. ''How do I- What? Stefan, what are you talking about?'' 

        He put his fangs away and stepped towards me. ''Never mind. Come with me. I want to take you to meet my brother.'' He smiled again and as I looked into his eyes, I could see many things. He looked as if he were looking at a stranger. Someone who he had never met. Also I could see that his pupils were shifting. He was trying to compel me. 

        Despite the pain I felt about the fact that he didn't remember me, I raised my stake towards him. ''Out. Now!'' I yelled. 

        He put his arms up, confusion running across his features. But instead of picking a fight with an armed girl on his first day of a vampire,  he ran with an incredible speed out the door. 

I sank to the floor gripping my stake. When I looked over at my father.  He wasn't moving.  I ran over to him. My father was dead.  I should have been hurt, or sad, or mad. But to be truthful, I was glad. This man was no longer a father to me once he killed my brothers. The only problem I had was that I would be blamed. In his chest, was a large whole. He must have been stabbed. Sure enough, there was a bloody stake next to him. I had to get out. I would be killed. A few minutes ago, I wouldn't had minded but that was before I found out that my brothers were still out there. And I had to find out why Stefan didn't remember me. 

        I left my father there as I ran upstairs. Once there, I pulled out my large bag and started to put clothes and things I might need in. Food, water, and anything else that I could find. Most importantly, my diary. That is something that I vowed that no matter where life takes me, I would always take it with me. It was one of the last things my mother ever gave me. 

        Thinking about my mother gave me a sad thought. My mom was dead and now so was my father. I was an orphan and I was alone. I had no where to go. No one to turn to because my brothers were gone. They were vampires and god knows where they went to. Besides, they didn't remember me. At least Stefan didn't.  

        A thought acurred to me; I could go to Emily.  She had been Katherine's hand maiden but was always close by Anna and I. She would know what to do and she would help. She was so kind. I grabbed my shoes and pulled my bag over my shoulder and ran out the door without a backward glance.