Chapter 37

After Caroline left, I finally got a drink. It probably saved my life. I laughed silently at that.''Excuse me miss, are you old enough for that?'' The bartender came up to me.

I rolled my eyes. ''Yes. I'm old enough now go away. You're killing my mood.'' I really didn't want to talk to this guy. Surprisingly, despite everything. I was happy. My brothers know me. They don't know who I am of course but they do know who I am. It's better than watching them from afar.

''I'm gonna need to see some ID.'' 

That persistent bastard wasn't going to leave me alone. I sighed and turned to him.''No you don't. Now your going to turn around and forget I'm even sitting. You won't talk to me or disturb me again. Do you understand?'' 

He nodded in a trance like way. ''I understand.''

''Good now bye-bye.'' I waved him off. Obediently he left. Oh those stupid humans.

I heard the door open to see Elena's brother Jeremy walk in. I quickly turned so he would not spot me. Although that didn't seen to matter since he wasn't paying any attention in this direction.His eyes were pointed straight a Vicky Donavon. A small smile began to play on his lips. How cute, he loved her. Which made the next thing that happened even harder to watch.

Tyler Lockwood came over to her. They were talking and laughing. Glancing at Jeremy, his smile had faded. Tyler grabbed her around the waist and they shared a passionate kiss. Jeremy looked destroyed and hurt. He turned away from them and walked back towards the door. I got the erge to follow him.

"Jeremy!" I called once we were outside. He turned immediately.

"Who are you?" He asked.

I ran up to him. "I'm Emma. I'm kinda new here but I saw what happened just now and I felt bad." I was feeling bad for a human? What in hell was happening? "I just wanted to know if you were alright."

"Look. I'm fine and thank you for coming out here but next time, don't because I know that you really don't give a damn. If Elena put you up to this then you give her a message. Stop trying to help. I can take care of myself." And with that he turned and walked down the road.

"Well that was rude." I whispered to myself. I stood frozen there for a moment.What just happened back there. A week ago I wouldn't have cared about any of this. Making friends, feeling human, a guy being hurt over a dumb girl. This whole experience is changing me. For a hundred and forty-five years I have been a cold shell only seeking one desire. All I ever needed was blood and I didn't care how I got it. But now I realize that no matter how far gone I was, I still had some humanity left. It truly was a switch that you can turn off and on. My humanity that is. For the longest time I had turned it off, shut out my feelings because it was too much to live with. Now that I have a chance to be normal and get my brothers back, I knew that my humanity was coming back. I had to embrace it if I wanted my brothers. I would do anything for them.

Quiet and determined for the next day, I walked to my car and drove straight to my camper without a second glance.