Chapter 2

I heard the horses come about ten minutes later. I looked out my window to see a carriages stop in front of the house. The first woman who came out must have been a hand maiden by the look of her clothes. After her, She stepped out.. 

        Oh my goodness, were my brothers going to have a fit over this one!  I thought to myself.

        The woman who stepped out of the carriage was extremely beautiful. Her hair was dark brown and was pined up in behind her elegant hat.  Her skin was as pale as the moonlight, her face was flawless. The envy rose up within me, wishing that I could have that perfection. As she got out of the carriage with the help of her hand maiden. She glanced up at the doorway with curious eyes. Stefan went over to her, I realized that he must have been assigned to greet her. He came out took her hand as she curtsied. They both stood there for a moment longer, just starring at each other.  

        This woman may have been beautiful, but I wanted to make sure that she was good enough for my brother since it was obvious that he fancied her. I quickly got off my window seat and hurried as fast as I could in my dress down stairs. Stefan was just showing her around the parlor when I came in. He gave me a stunned look to see why I was here, but he apparently decided against asking. That was usually best with me. "Katherine," He begun, gesturing towards me. "This is my younger sister, Emma Salvatore. Emma, this is Miss Katherine Pierce."

        I curtsied formally. "It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Pierce." 

        She returned my curtsy, although hers seemed to be much more graceful when she did it. "The pleasure is all mine. And please, call me Katherine." She smiled so brightly it was hard to look at. I returned a sheepish smile. Somehow in her presence, I felt weak and small.  

        I put that thought aside and turned to Stefan who was watching Katherine with intense, adoring  eyes.  "Stefan, where is Damon?" I asked. 

        He reluctantly pulled his gaze away from Katherine and turned toward me. "I'm not sure. I think father had him run into town to purchase a few items." 

        "Who is Damon?" Katherine asked in a sweet voice, but I could tell the curiosity of another males name shinning in her eyes. 

        Stefan seemed reluctant to answer so I did for him. "Damon is our brother. Older."  

        She nodded slowly, the curiosity still blatantly in her dark brown eyes. "Well I guess I will have to meet him at a later time then." She gave us another curtsy before adding. "It's time I go and see my room. Stefan will you be so kind and show me the way?" She looked up at him, connecting gazes with him. She had confidence radiating from her. 

        "Of course Miss Pi- I mean Katherine." He chuckled and gestured his arm toward her room. 

        "Come along Emily." She said to her hand maiden. 

        I watched the two of them start to trail up the stairs, Emily following silently behind them. I chewed my bottom lip before I had an idea, one that Stephan would owe me for later. "Wait, brother!" I called after them. 

        "Yes?" Stefan seem surprised that I had spoken, a bit of annoyance in his tone seeing as I was interrupting his time with Katherine. 

        "Father told me that there were going to be four women staying yet there is only two?" 

        "There are more coming." It was Katherine who answered my question. "My dearest friend and her daughter are coming. They should arrive shortly." 

        I nodded to myself. "Thank you, Katherine." I decided I would throw Stefan a bone. "Stefan, would you like me to greet them once they get here. So you may help Lady Katherine settle in and give her a tour of the house?" I locked eyes with my brother, hoping he would see the approval in my gesture. 

        "Oh, I would love that Stefan." Katherine grabbed his arm flirtatiously, giving Stefan her bright, flawless grin. 

        "Yes, that would be wonderful, Emma. Thank you." He gave me a look that said 'thank you' even more. I nodded to him before I turned and left.