Leaving

Nick's POV 

I could hear the constant drip-drop of water and opened my eyes, well one eye. The other was swollen. A black eye, no doubt. I tried raising my hands but realized that I was handcuffed and my arms were pulled backwards. I was in massive pain. I looked around, I was on a tatty bed, it was a far cry from the bed I used to sleep it. There was mould on the walls, the paint was chipped and the smell of rust made me want to gag. This place was disgusting. I noticed the metal shackles on the wall and shivered. 

What was this place? Why was I here? What did that guy want from me? 

I shouted, "Hello!" And immediately someone ran into the room. 

Cassia. 

I noticed her. She was doing worse for wear. Her hair was disheveled, her usual fair skin was grey and she had bags underneath her eyes. What had she gotten herself into? Actually, who did she get into? Her brown hair was thinner than before. It used to be a thick mane and now it was reduced to a tiny bun that sat atop her head. Her black eyes were lifeless. She had no joy, no serenity, nothing. She was so far gone and broken, but only I could see that damage she had done to herself. 

She looked at me, "I'm so sorry, Nicholas." She whimpered, "I should've never left you for Bastien. I am so sorry." She broke off into sobs, her hand flying to cover her mouth. She swiped roughly at her eyes. I was disgusted at her, but I did feel an ache in my heart. I had spent so many years with her. It was hard to stay angry at the woman. 

"Come here," I whispered. She came towards me and I inched towards her, "You can hug me, you know that. I am always there. I'll always be here for you, Cassia." And with that her dam broke. She collapsed into my shoulder and cried, "I don't know why I did this. He seemed so perfect, until he told me about his plans to harm Dylan. Nick, you have to get her to safety!" 

I stared at her and kissed her cheeks and then whispered, "Then help me." 

But my whisper was clearly audible as another voice joined in. 

"Having a celebration...oh wait, reunion, are we Cassia?" Another man walked into the room. I noticed him for the first time. He had tanned skin, with ripples of muscle that strained against his t-shirt. His pitch black hair was eerily familiar to Dylan's. But his eyes... he had sharp green eyes with visible golden flecks inside of it. That was the only difference between Dylan and him. 

"Who the hell are you?" I shouted at him and he raised his hands in a surrendering gesture. He smirked at me and the urge to hit him and maul him like an animal began to bloom in my chest. 

"Now, now, you can be more polite Mr Bateman. But anyways...I am Sebastien Bellasario, Boss of New York and Dylan Hunter's half-brother. You may call be Bastien." He replied to me. 

"What do you want with Dylan?" I snapped, "She has done nothing to you." 

"Au contraire, she has done a lot to me. Why don't I uncuff you and then we can talk about this like gentlemen, huh?" Bastien replied. I nodded and gestured for him to undo my cuffs. He reached over and slid the key into the lock and turned. My strategy was that the moment he'd unlock the cuffs, I'd hit him and injure him and make a run for it. 

"Don't think of attacking me, Nick. I have men outside this room and stationed all over the place. You'd be dead by the time you even walked out the door. So don't act smart, capito?" 

Damn. This guy was smart. 

I nodded again. I had to give it to him. Even though he was of the mafia, his manners were impeccable. There was not one trace of cruelty in his voice, it was just his actions and intentions which held all the danger. I bet that had he not been a Boss, we could actually be really good friends. Bastien pulled me up and my hands were freed. I smiled, "Thanks."