To Break Or Not To Break

"And I can't stand to fight no more,

So please don't make me hurt you like I do."

*

I ran through the airport, desperately waiting for my luggage and then the taxi. I kept checking my watch. Praying, hoping that I could magically fly to Nick's bedside. I needed to be next to him. I was in pain, even though I wasn't the one in the hospital bed. I kept watching the live updates on the news apps and there were constant updates of Nick's failing health.

"St George's Hospital, please! And step on it!" I quickly told the taxi driver who was an old man with ash coloured hair. I bit my lip as it began to quiver, and my eyes stung. I couldn't hold it back and began to cry. The taxi driver heard me and asked, "What's wrong, little one?"

I shook my head, "Nothing, Sir. Just please get me to the hospital, my...my boyfriend is in trauma over there."

"Oh alright. I've heard that that billionaire Nicholas Bateman is there too. Apparently, he has had some rough beatings." The man said solemnly.

I bit my lip harder and could taste blood, "Just go."

"Is he your...?" The man asked, and by looking at my reflection in the mirror, he could tell Nick was the said 'boyfriend.'

I weakly nodded, and I could see him accelerate.

*

After an agonizing wait of forty minutes I was finally at the hospital. I gave the taxi driver a hundred dollar note and got out. But before I could run, I gave the taxi driver my address, quickly called up Sherry and told her to be at the apartment so that she could take my bags.

And then I ran into the hospital, "Where's Nick Bateman?" I asked the receptionist. She arched an eyebrow at me and her green eyes assessed me from head to toe, "Who are you in relation to him?"

"His girlfriend, where is his room?" I tapped my foot impatiently, my patience was running out. I needed to know where he was, I needed to touch him. I wanted to see him. The receptionist stopped typing on her keyboard and looked up, "Room 420, VIP suite."

I nodded and sprinted to the elevators. I got in one and punched the fourth floor button. My knuckles hurt because of what I had just done, but it didn't matter. I didn't matter at the moment. The elevator doors opened and I looked for his room. It was heavily guarded but the blonde bitch from his company recognized me.

"He's in a lot of pain," She said sadly. She wasn't being bitchy to me anymore. I guess it's true what's been said of pain. It unites us all. She didn't mock me for my physique. I'm pretty sure at the moment, my figure was least of our worries. She hugged me, "I'm sorry. But stay strong. You're not going to like what you see inside, Dylan." My heart broke a little at her last sentence. "You know my name?" I asked curiously. She was crying, but laughed a bit, "Yeah, I do. But right now, he needs you around."

She gestured for the security to let me through. I walked to his door and wrapped my hand around the handle. I inhaled sharply.

What was behind this door?

What state was he in?

Would he survive this?

I closed my eyes and turned the handle and got in the room. I shut the door, but my eyes were still closed. I was trying to get the strength to open them. I silently prayed to God and opened them.

I silently screamed.

He was asleep on the bed. His brown eyes shut, hands limp at the sides, covered with a blanket. But that wasn't what made me want to scream.