Pull A Trigger

I was on the flight back to New York. Travis had left the day before and now, it was my turn. After a heart breaking 'goodbye,' I finally boarded my plane to JFK International Airport. I was flying first class and had free wifi. I switched on my phone and began to check my notifications.

There was nothing special, just co-workers and other random celebrities hitting the cool places. Some celeb had been busted for dropping coke on the pavement, someone else possibly had violated their probation. The world was weird and wonderful all at the same time. I smiled to myself and checked my Whatsapp, I had no texts from Nick or Travis. 

My chest tightened, something had changed and I knew it. I didn't want Travis anymore. I used to think I did, but my heart kept saying no. My heart resided in someone's brown eyes and tanned arms. It was hard to convice myself that Nick was the man I wanted, but it was happening. I was falling in love, and I knew it. I couldn't take a man who had flown all the way from NY to Delhi for granted. I knew that his warning shouldn't have been taken lightly, but I was too overwrought with anger to care. I didn't want to give a fuck at that moment. All I could think of, was to protect Travis' integrity. But who the hell was I kidding? Travis had hit me. He had abused me. Why wasn't I surprised? Or maybe I was, but I just kept choosing to deny it. I still remembered the anger in Nick's eyes when he saw me. The sheer fury due to me spilling that hot coffee all over him. And then the verbal spat that occured in his office. I called him a "piece of shit spray painted silver." I laughed internally. I needed to learn the art of keeping my mouth shut. The same piece of shit had made me fall in love, and holy crap, did it feel painful and amazing all at the same time.

I sent Nick a message, "Hey, I am reaching NY tonight! :) Can't wait to see you x"  

I knew how prompt his replies were, and was surprised when I didn't get anything back. I frowned and didn't hear the airhostess ask me whether I wanted a glass of bubbly. I shook my head and smiled at her, she had warm green eyes, lips filled with red, and perfect makeup slapped on. She grinned back and then left, with my glass on the tray she was carrying. I decided there and then that I liked this flight. 

*

Travis POV 

I walked into the darkly lit room, I could see a table with a figure on either end of it. I called out, "Why did you need me Bellasario?" My voice was thick and rough. It was the result of smoking a pack everyday. 

"Look at who I caught!" Sebastien said. The closer I came, the more recognizable the second figure became. I could make out thick brown hair and that familiar piercing gaze.

"Nick?" Disbelief laced my voice. I couldn't believe he was here. Why the fuck was the CEO of Bateman Industries here? I scanned Nick from head to toe. He was topless, there were rope marks around his neck; red and swollen. There were whip marks across his chest, his hands were cuffed. He wore jeans, but they were old and frayed at the seams. His fingernails had dirt underneath it, and when he spoke, pain rang out loud and clear, "Please, help me. Why am I here?" 

I shook my head, "I don't know Nicholas. Why are you?" I took out my lighter and lit it up, I brought the flame close to his face and gasped. His cheeks had three scratches, it was obviously done by fingernails. His lip was split, I shuddered. Why would Bastien ever do this to Nick? Nick didn't even have anything to do with this. 

"Do you see what happens when people try to come in my way, Maddox?" Bastien teased. I felt sick. This was horrible. I don't even know why I had even a shred of compassion for this man. But he was, in every sense of the word, brutalized by Bastien and his men...or maybe just Bastien. 

I knew how maniacal he could get when in the mood, but this was scary. 

Scary as fuck. 

I smiled weakly and placed my hand on Bastien's shoulder and squeezed softly.