Chapter 28

I was upstairs in my room listening to music and reading. I haven't done anything all day, and I really didn't care. I don't mean that I was just being lazy, I just felt off for some reason.

The rest of my team was out somewhere celebrating our win. I smiled at the thought of when Katie had the game winning kill. Everyone stormed the court, and Lane immediately found me and gave me a hug. He lifted me off my feet and spun around, it was one of those cheesy couple moments that I loved so much.

However, my smile didn't last long when a knock came at my door.

"Ellie?" My mom said opening the door. "Don't you want to do something, it's a Saturday night. Are any of your friends having a party?

"No ones doing anything mom." Lie.

"Well okay, your father and I will be downstairs watching TV if you need us." She sighed and closed my door. She was worried about me, I could tell. I don't know what's wrong, sometimes I'm just kinda sad. I know its not depression or anything extreme like that, but sometimes I just get sad.

A few minutes later I heard another knock.

"Mom, I told you, everyone's home! Now leave me alone!" I yelled.

"Hm, Mom? I'd prefer if you called me daddy." Lane's cheeky smile appeared in my dorrway and I giggled.

"You wish Ryder! Sorry, I thought you were my mom." I said.

"Yeah, I figured...so what's up?" He sat on my bed.

"Nothing much, just hanging in here- "

"C'mon El, you know that's not what I ment. What's up with you? Why aren't you celebrating with the rest of the team?" He asked, his voice a bit pushy.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Just....tired." I lied. He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Bullshit, come on, talk to me babe." Babe. One simple word and I was putty in his hands.

"I'm just, sad? I guess. I don't know why, I have no reason to be. Honestly, I used to be like this a lot before I had you, but that was because I felt alone. No one knew how I felt, I would sit at home by myself while my friends went out with their guys, but I have you now, and I have no idea what's wrong." I felt so weak and needy as I told him this, I didn't have a problem, just an emotion that came around once a week or so.

Lane didn't say anything for a moment, but then he took my hand in his, but continued to stare ahead at my room wall.

"I think that you are so used to letting yourself feel like that from the past, that you aren't letting yourself have fun." He simply said.

The room was quiet. I thought about what he had said; it made sense.

It amazed me how simply he had solved a problem I've been thinking about for hours. I didn't say anything to him, I just looked up into his eyes, and gently pressed my lips against his cheek.

He smiled. "I have an idea, let's go do something!" "Like what?" "I dunno, anything!" I giggled and grabbed a jacket before he tugged me by my arm out my bedroom door.

"Mom, Dad, I'm going out with Lane!" I yelled down the stairs.

"Ellie! Wait!" My dad ran up the stairs, slightly panting when he got to the top - he's in really great shape.

"Yeah?" I asked, slightly annoyed.

"Actually, Lane, could you tell your dad that I can cover his shift next week?"

"Oh, uh...yeah, sure, will do." Lane said rubbing the back of his neck. I looked at him carefully when he spoke, and couldn't help but smile.

I waited until we were outside to mention...

"You're still scared of my dad, aren't you?" I questioned with a smirk.

He blushed. "No! I uh-no!" I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Mhm, because you just casually rub the back of your neck and are at a loss for words all of the time, right?" I had lain the sarcasm down pretty thick. He just rolled his eyes and pushed me as I continued to laugh.

"What's up with you? You were fine around him when we were kids." I reminded him.

"Yeah, exactly, when we were kids. Now I'm dating his daughter, if I do anything to hurt you he'll cut my nuts off!" He threw his hands in the air then opened the car door.

I hopped in and scoffed at him. "My dad has always liked you, and he always will! You don't have to worry!" I tried to reassure him, but I don't think I was helping much.

"So where do you want to go?" He asked, clearly trying to change the subject. I glared at him to let him know that this conversation was not over, and then proceeded to shrug my shoulders.

"Idunno." I mumbled.

"We could go to the aquarium! You love sea animals." My body froze. My eyes blurred wit the memories of the good time I had with Alex, not knowing only a few weeks later he would try to rape me. I slightly shook my head.

"Th-that's okay, I actually just went there last week with Katie." I lied through my teeth. I could tell that he thought something was wrong, but he let it go.

"Hey, I got it." He quickly made an illegal U-Turn and sped down the highway. "It's nice out and it's the last day that the gold course is open. For old times sake?" He suggested.

I smiled and nodded with approval.

***

"FORE!"

"Looks like it's been a while, El." Lane smirked.

"Haven't been out here since summer." I sighed. "I never had time with the school work, student council, and well, Peyton."

His smirk faded as he teed up his ball. One swift movement and it was flying down the middle of the fairway. Lane was a golf prodigy, which isn't surprising considering his dad and grandfather are both golf pros on the course.

"Perfection as always ya little shit." I teased.

"Hey!" He threw his lower lip out in a pout. "Is that anyway to talk to your boyfriend?" He walked over to me and pointed to his cheek, pushing for a kiss. I rolled my eyes and leaned in, but at the last second he turned his head and his lips touched mine. He was smooth.

He smiled with victory.

That's pretty much how the evening went, us talking and kissing and having a good time. It didn't feel like there was a date atmosphere, it felt simple and easy going. But of course, nothing stays that way for me. This is my life we're talking about here.

Riingg Riingg Riingg.

I took my phone out from my pocket to answer it, the collar ID said it was from my mom.

"Hello?" My jaw dropped open. No, it's impossible.