Chapter 23

Lane's P.O.V

Flashback to After homecoming dance

"Laneyyyy, come on *hic* let's dance!" A drunken Peyton clutched onto my arm and started to drag me onto the dance floor. I rolled my eyes and stopped moving my feet, causing her to stop as well.

"You know babe, I think I'm going to sit this one out, why don't you go on and I'll jump in later, yeah?" She stuck out her lip in a pout, but I just gave her a peck on the lips and she happily started dancing with a group of girls that I'm pretty sure didn't even go to our school.

I walked over to the cooler that was in the kitchen and grabbed another beer. It was only my second one, I didn't feel like having a hangover in the morning. I cracked open the bottle and took a chug of the cold liquid. I walked over to the stairwell and started up it, I had to take a major piss. Something felt off tonight, like I was forgetting something really important.

I've been to Dalton's house before, but it's been a while, so I wasn't sure where the bathroom was. I started opening up random doors, but soon started knocking after I ran into a couple getting it on. They were so caught up in there "activity" that I don't think they realized I opened the door.

Just as I was about to knock on another door, I heard screaming from the other side. I cringed at the thought of what was happening in there. I thought better of knocking and started walking over the the next door. As I walked, I heard more noises from the room. The female voice that was inside sounded very familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"HELP!" I heard the voice again. This time, I knew the voice and in a panic, pushed against the door to get it to open. I heard more screams, and then silence, but once the crying started, I got absolutle furious and bashed open the door.

I was almost sick at what I saw. Alex was about to rape Ellie. She was naked on the ground, possibly unconscious. Alex threw her to the floor,came up to me and immedietly threw a punch. I blocked it and got him in the jaw. He winced back in pain.

"Don't mess with me you little fucker!" Alex yelled. "This is none of you buisness."

"She's my best friend!" I shouted and he laughed. A small, evil little laugh that made anger boil up inside of me.

"Really?" He chuckled? "Best friend? Okay best friend, where have you been the past few months? Off playing with your little slut? Have you even talked to Ellie in a month, no you haven't. She's been too busy talking to me! When you weren't there for her, I was. Some best friend you are." I couldn't say anything. Every word, every damn word that came out of his mouth was true, and it made me sick. I couldn't take it anymore, I hit him in the stomach and then punched his face as hard as I could. He doubled over and fell to the ground. I kicked him a few times before he was unconscious. I was breathing heavily, and almost forgot that Ellie was still here. I quickly made my way over to her.

"Ellie, Ellie stay with me!" I carefully lifted her body off of the hard floor and onto the soft bed. I quickly realized that she was still naked, so I looked for another blanket to wrap her with.

"Stay." I heard her whimper. I smiled and retrieved a blanket from the closet.

"I'm right here." I grazed the soft blanket over her body, I wasn't sure how much of what happening that she was aware of, but I didn't want her to think I was taking advantage of her.

"It's my turn to take care of you Ellie." I whispered into her ear. Thinking back to the time where she took me into her care after she found me drunk off my mind that one day out of many that I ditched. I cradled her in my arms and gently brushed back her silky hair with my hands.

"Don't leave me again." She cried.

My heart dropped at her words. I didn't realize she thought I left her. My eyes were wet with tears as the thought of loosing my best friend hit me. Sure we had never fought like this before, but I didn't know that she felt as though I had left her. I stared down at my friend, my best friend "I never left."

***

I don't know how, but I did it. I found a way to get Ellie out of the house, and back to my place. I found some of Dalton's sister's cloths and put them on her. That was the easy part. Carrying her through the crowds of people was a bit more difficult. Most people just thought she was another passed out partier, but at least non e of her friends saw. That would be too much to deal with for one night. I left Alex's body lying on the floor. I couldn't care less what was to happen with that no good piece of shit.

Peyton was still on the dance floor when I left, grinding on some guy. I rolled my eyes and quickly got Ellie out of the house. Pey was going to be pissed at me for leaving her, but she'll probably wake up on the living room floor here tomorrow anyways.

When we got back to my house, I immediately had lain her down on my bed downstairs. My parents were out at there own party tonight for my dad's job, so I wouldn't have to worry about them for a while. I changed her out of her current clothing, and into something more suitable for sleeping in, my shirt and a pair of sweatpants.

I wasn't going to sleep in here with her. As much as I wanted to comfort her, I knew she would assume the worst about what happened, and then be even more pissed off at me. I grabbed an extra pillow and blanket from my closet and slept on the couch just upstairs. This way, if she needed me, I could be there.

A few hours later, I was woken up by a loud thrashing noise. I thought nothing of it as I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. When I heard it again, my eyes shot open in realization and I bolted downstairs.

"Ellie!" She turned around, and the next thing I know, I'm running over to catch her as she faints to the floor. I sigh as I lifter back into my bed. I tuck her in and then go upstairs to catch a few more hours of sleep.

When I wake up the second time, I force myself to get up and make breakfast, in case Ellie woke up. Thinking of how she's probably going to feel today, I went into the medicine cabinet in my bathroom and grabbed some Tylenol. I filled up a large glass of water and set them both beside my bed on a small side table.

The food I made was staying warm in the oven, while I finished cleaning up the dishes. After a while, I went down stairs to check up on Ellie. As quietly as I could, I made my way down the stairs and cracked the bedroom door open just enough to slip through. I walked over to the bed and picked up the Tylenol wrapper and the glass of water, both of which were empty. She must have woken up, taken the medication and fell back asleep.

I stood there for a bit, just watching her sleep. I didn't mean in to be creepy in any way, but after she was so worked up earlier, it was nice to see her calm and at ease. I put the glass back down on the table and sat down on my bed.

A million thought were buzzing through my head. I wasn't sure I felt right now. Both my mind and heart were having difficulties figuring out what they wanted.

I sighed. "Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, what am I going to do?" I looked down, "we go so far back, I didn't think anything would come between us. I...I think I....I don't know." With that I stood up, still looking at the girl that had been through so much is such little time. I leaned in, and before I could stop myself, I placed a kiss on her cheek and left the room.

***

"Ellie? El? Where are you?" I frantically searched my house. My bedroom, bathrooms, the garage, she wasn't anywhere. I paced back and forth in the room and sat down on my bed in defeat. I suddenly shivered, there was a breeze coming in through the window. The window, that's what she did. How could I be so stupid!

I shot her another text, I was worried sick. At this point, I figured she would've told Katie what had happened, I'm assuming that's who she got a ride from after she ran away. Why'd she do it? It was probably me, it always is.