Chapter 27

Ellie's P.O.V

The drive to the park seemed never ending. The sun was starting to set, and the wind was picking up, making the fall evening even cooler. I looked out the window of Katie's BMW and sighed. I had let her give me a ride to the park, and I'm glad I did; there was no way I could've focused on the road with all the thoughts whirling around in my head.

"Ellie, we're here." Katie shook my shoulder and I looked up to see that we were indeed in the park. "Call if you need me, kay?" I nodded and got out of the car. She gave me a nervous smile before hesitantly driving away.

I could hear the sound of the swings being pushed by the wind, the temperature was dropping. The park looked beautiful this time of the year. The leaves were slowly being blown off of the trees, the autumn air was crisp and refreshing with every breath I took. This was my favorite time of the year, everything was so relaxing. I took another deep breathe in and exhaled through my mouth.

"Hey Ellie."

"Lane!" I jumped. "You scared the shit out of me!" I yelled and hit his arm.

"Oww," he whined as he rubbed his arm where I had punched him. "That hurt, you really pack a punch!" I laughed.

"Oh don't be such a baby!" I mocked.

"Last time I checked, you were the one that always cried when I didn't play princess with you!" He fired back.

"Lane," I drew out the 'n' with a whiney tone. "Did you really have to bring that up, I said I was sorry!" We made eye contact for a while before he started cracking up; I soon followed.

We both laughed heavily until only the sound of the wind blowing the dried leaves filled our ears and the park was once again in a peaceful state.

We sat on a bench in silence. It wasn't awkward, but it wasn't exactly relaxing either, it was more....tense. We sat and just waited for someone to make the first move.

"Lane." "Ellie." We both said at the same time. He laughed uncomfortably and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.

"I'll go." I told him. He nodded. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I wanted to make sure he knew what I had to say before he started talking.

"About the other night," I started and looked down at my feet. "I...I...overreacted. It was my fault for all of this-"

"No Ellie-" Lane started to interrupt, but I cut him short.

"No Lane, listen. It's my fault, it always has been. I lead you further into a relationship I didn't even want you to be in, but it made you happy so I figured that was all it would take for me to spend time with you, and I would be happy. I ruined what we could have fixed in our friendship by telling you...well, you know, and now we can't even go a couple days without fighting. I ruined it, everything." Lane just stood there, quiet. He didn't say a word, and the wind blew through the park, making me shiver, I really wish I brought a jacket. He stayed silent, but then, finally, he said something.

"It's funny really, us, here." Lane started to turn and take a couple steps away from me. He stuck his hand in his front jean pockets, and looked up at the now dark sky. "It used to be only filled with happy memories and good times, but now, all that comes out of it is drama, trouble....and disappointment." My eyes swelled up with tears, and I struggled to keep them down, he was right, and it was all my fault, he admitted it, right?

"I shouldn't have blamed it on you Ellie, you weren't the one that convinced yourself to get me with Peyton." He paused. "What you said...before, did you mean it?" I blushed and looked down, not knowing whether to lie and try to cover it up, or...I nodded, not even thinking before doing so. I didn't look up; there was the sound of someone walking in the dried leaves but then it was quiet for a few moments, I was going to assume he had left. I was about ready to leave myself, when it happened.

In the moments that followed, I would've thought were all a dream if his touch hadn't felt so strong.

Lane grabbed me by my arm, turned me around to face him and lowered his lips, stopping right in front of mine. "We need some more happy memories here." He whispered in a husky voice. I smiled and nodded; he pressed his lips to mine.

It was nothing like our first one, the trial kiss, this one was warm and soft, it felt amazing, and the best part is, I didn't wake up. The once cold feeling in my body vanished and only warmth filled my blood. We moved slowly and sweetly, just enjoying each other for once. His hands were on my waist and upper arm and mine cupped his face and tugged his hair. He let out a light moan when I left kisses down his neck. It took us a while to realize that we were still in a park, but when we did, we both instantly pulled back and laughed.

"W-what just h-happened." I stuttered and looked down at my feet. Red flushed my face.

"Something that I've been waiting a long time for." I looked up at Lane, making eye contact for a few seconds before both of us cracked up with laughter at how cheesy he was being.

"Smooth Lane, smooth." I giggled.

"Oh, I know." He smirked. We looked each other in the eyes. "Ellie, I always felt something towards you, but I didn't think it was this. You make me smile, laugh, I get a little nervous when we're around each other. I like you Ellie, I really do." He finally said what I had always been hoping to hear, and it was amazing.

"What now?" I asked him. He he paused for a moment.

"Let's give us," he jestered between the two of us, "a shot. I think we can do it." He smiled and so did I. I nodded and he pulled me in for an embrace.

"Uh, Lane?" "Yeah?"

"It's a good thing we made up, because I kind of need a ride home." He raised an eyebrow at me. "Oh, and I have to be home soon, we have the championship game tomorrow." I commented as I walked towards Lane's car. He didn't move for a few moments, but I soon heard the crunching of leaves beneath his feet as he followed me.

***

"You'll be at my game tomorrow, right?" I asked Lane as he pulled into my driveway. Our volleyball team was one game away from regional championships and we needed all of the support we could get, the other team always packed the house.

"Of course beautiful." He smiled and I got butterflies in my stomach. I wasn't used to being called that, let alone by Lane.

We kissed goodbye and I went upstairs to call Katie, she wasn't going to believe this.

***

"Hey, Drew wanted to know if you wanted to go on a double date to the movies tomorrow night." Katie told me as we walked to out cars. Our regional championship game was in a couple of ours, so we were grabbing our bags from ours cars so we could load up the bus and head for the game.

"Isn't tomorrow Halloween?" I asked.

"Yup! We're going to see The Conjuring." She told me.

"Didn't that movie come out last year?"

"It's a Halloween special, now stop asking questions and just say yes!" She shook my shoulder.

"Okay," I agreed, "I'll talk to Lane." A small smile grew on my face. I'm still not used to being with the Lane Ryder.

"Yay! I'm so happy I can finally go on a double date with you!" My smile fadded at her comment, and she noticed.

"El, you know I didn't mean it like that! It's just, you...you never have a boyfriend when I have one." She tried to reason.

"Kay, I get it, it's fine." I reasurred her, and I ment it. I knew that I wasn't the prettiest and that all the guys weren't always after me, but I usually wasn't too bothered by it. Usually. There's been not so pleasant days were I've felt alone, but I just try to suck it up and get over it.

Katie gave me a smile and we headed back towards the busses.