Chapter 44

Lane's P.O.V

I laid on the bed with my face towards the ceiling. I took a deep breath and gripped onto the comforter while closing my eyes. I slowly turned my head to the left, and my heart dropped at what I was hoping had not been true. My eyes were laid upon Peyton, who was still asleep with the covers pulled up over her bare skin.

Slowly and quietly, I put on my clothes and headed for the door. Once I was in the clear, I ran down the stairs, out the front door and to my car. I drove home but sat in my garage for a moment; my parents were going to be pissed that I was out all night. After a few seconds of silence I hit my head of the steering wheel and let out a long line of swear words.

You really fucked up this time. I thought to myself. There was no way Ellie was going to forgive me for this one. I stayed in my car for a few more minutes before I decided I had to face my parents eventually.

I opened my door, but instead of angry parents, I saw Ellie.

You can imagine how confused I was. I reluctantly walked inside and quietly shut the door behind me. We both just stood there. Silent. You could hear a pin if one was dropped. This wasn't one of those comfortable silences either, it was one that was filled with tension, anger and well...just plain awkwardness.

"Lane." My breathe hitched. The way she said my name, it sounded so empty and meaningless. I think we both knew that this was the start of a soon to be horrible discussion.

"Where are my parents?" It's not like I was purposely trying to change the inevitable conversation, I just didn't want my parents hearing unwanted information.

"When I came here looking for you, I had to tell them about the party." She confessed to me. I wasn't mad, it saved me from having to do it. "I simply told them that I really needed to talk to you; I think they understood that we'd want it to be alone." I nodded. They way she was talking, it wasn't right. She was so calm, too calm. Her voice added to the eeriness in the air, which suddenly seemed to be a lot thicker.

I walked over to open up a window. The -now January- air was relieving, but the small relief I felt soon turned sour as I remembered the conversation that was about to take place. I slowly looked back over to Ellie. Nodding my head towards the couch in the living room and we both walked over. Sitting on opposite ends of the three person couch, I don't think there was as much space between us as she would have liked.

More awkward silence took place and I took that time to really notice how defeated she looked. Her eyes had noticeable bags under them and her eyes looked slightly bloodshot, like she had been crying recently. My heart broke a little seeing her like this.

"Lane..." She croaked out. "Wh-what happened last night?" I tensed. Did she know about me and Peyton? How? I had just left her house!

"Everything that we said..." Oh, the fight, of course. I had almost forgotten about that. She looked at me, begging me with her eyes to say something, anything.

I sighed. "Ellie, I don't know. We were both upset, we didn't know what we were saying." I ran my fingers through my hair subconsciously.

"I think we both knew exactly what we were saying." The silence that followed this time wasn't awkward, but it wasn't comfortable either. This was us thinking. What would be said next? What would be the best thing to do?

Honestly, Ellie was right. We both knew exactly what we were saying. This was everything we didn't say. Instead of saying it the way it was supposed to though, it came out as complete yelling-in public nonetheless.

I sighed. "You're right. Last night we said everything that we-"

"IkissedCalvin." She yelled out in a rush.

"What did you say?" I seriously didn't hear her.

"I...I kissed...Calvin last night." My throat swelled and I couldn't swallow. I felt a bit of anger, but more confusion. Confused as to why I wasn't that mad. I also felt horrible that she told me what had been bugging her, but I still haven't...

"Ellie." She looked up at me. "I slept with Peyton last night." Her breathe hitched. More silence followed before she quietly said...

"You didn't just...sleep...did you?" I shook my head. Her eyes turned red and a tear fell down her cheek. I didn't care if she didn't want to be near me, I slid closer to her on the couch.

She flinched at first before slumping her shoulders and placing her head on my shoulder. I placed my arm around her, in a friendly, comforting way.

"We both screwed each other over didn't we?"

"Yeah, I guess we did, didn't we?"

She started crying a bit harder. No sobs, but tears ran freely down both of her cheeks.

"This wasn't supposed to happen. We were supposed to be the dream couple." I remember her saying similar words like this last night.

"We, we were supposed to be the childhood best friends that fell in love, got married, and lived happily ever after." She quietly cried.

"You know, they say you never truely realize you love somebody, until you watch them fall in love with someone else." She looked at me and waited for me to continue.

"When I first saw you with Alex, I think I was jealous that somebody could love you more than I did-do." I shook my head slightly. "I think I was upset that I couldn't see you whenever I wanted to. I took you and our friendship for granted."

"You were the one that was always gone though!" My heart cracked.

"I know, but when I was ready to come back, you were always waiting. You're my rock Ellie."

"You're mine Lane. But I just don't understand...if we love each other?"

"I think we both know that this just isn't ment to be." I jestered between us. "We're both just so used to how we acted when we were friends, that we didn't know how to act when we were dating."

Were. She didn't say anything, this is it.

She turned towards me so that we were sitting, facing each other.

We looked into each others eyes, quiet. We sat there for a few seconds before I opened my arms, welcomingly. She looked at me for a moment before breaking out into fully recked sobs and falling into my arms.
"I..I..love you Lane. I love you s-s-oo much." Her body was shaking.

"I love you too Ellie. More than you ever will realize."

That's how we spent the majority of the day, crying into each others arms. I'm not going to lie, I balled almost just as hard as she did. It hurt. It fucking hurt like hell.

Before Ellie left, she looked up at me and gave me one more kiss on the lips. A sweet, short, beautiful kiss that held so much meaning. I gave her another hug, and she was gone.

So much had happened over the past six months. I had lost and gained my best friend back. Right now was the calm after the storm. Neither Ellie nor I knew what was to come, but by the warm, beautiful colors of the setting sun, I had a feeling things wouldn't be as bad as we both thought.

***

The End! Epilogue is coming soon! It'll probably just be a short little thing though!

Then after that, I'll go back and start re-writting the shitty parts haha.