Chapter 25

Ellie's P.O.V

I gathered my books and shoved them into my backpack. School had just gotten done with, and I was getting ready to head to volleyball practice. I was about to grab my Geography book, so I could talk to Lane about what he needed to get done tonight for our project. Mr. Knight just paired us with the person seated next to us, so for me, that would be Lane. I turned to shut my locker, when someone bumped into me, making me drop my unzipped bag, causing everything to fall out.

"Um...excuse you." Peyton turned to say to me as I leaned against the cold metal lockers. When I didn't reply, she just rolled her eyes and kept walking, it was only then, as she walked away, that I realized she wasn't alone. Lane looked back at me with soft eyes and I just shook my head, quickly picking up my belongings and headed the other way, towards the gym. Of course he wouldn't say anything.

This is how he always was - is - he tells me one thing and does another. The other day we just got done confessing to each other how sorry we were, and he basically begged for my forgiveness, which I pretty much granted him. He said he would try to change, for me, but as I walk town the hallway, I know that when he's with her, he'll never change.

***

"Ellie!" Coach yelled at me from the sideline and motioned for me to come and talk to him. He was finishing marking down who was gone from practice, and he mumbled something about a doctors appointment before putting a check next to Peyton's name.

"Yeah, Coach?" I used my forearm to whipe the sweat that was dripping down my forehead.

"I can't help but notice you're a little off today, is everything okay?" He gave a concerned look.

"Yeah," I gave him a reasurring smile. "Everything's fine, it was just a long day at school." I lied.

He nodded his head a couple times. "Okay, because we really need you focussed for the Regional championship game next week."

"Of course Coach, I am completely ready!" I smile and he patted me on the shoulder and I went back to practice. If coach is noticing that something is off, then I better get my shit together. I may be a starter, but he won't think twice about pulling me.

***

"El, did you finish your project for Geography in class today?" Katie asked as we walked towards our cars. Practice was over and we were getting ready to head home. The cool fall air sent shivers throughout my body, but I welcomed the cold as I crossed my arms trying to warm my hands.

"No, Lane kept messing around with Drew, so we still need to finish - shit!" I smacked my palm against my head and Katie laughed.

"What's wrong?" She giggled.

"I forgot to give Lane his part of the assignment to work on." I quickly glanced through my bag, noticing that my papers weren't inside. "I'm going to have to head to his house before I go back to my house, I left papers for him in the hallway, so I'll have to show him what we need to re-do" I sighed and started up my car. Katie rolled her eyes at me playfully and smirked, as stepped inside her BMW.

I waved goodbye as I backed out of the parking lot and headed towards Lanes house.

The sun was completely gone by the time I arrived at my destination. I noticed another car in his driveway, and couldn't help but wonder who it was. His house seemed dark as I walked up to his front door, what papers and books I did manage to remember in hand, until the kitchen light came on. Someone was walking around.

Peyton. She must've came here after school. So much for practice, that doctors appointment sure took a long time. Note my sarcasm.

Lane was standing beside her, talking.