Epilogue

Ellie's P.O.V

"Damn it Ellie! Wake up!" I groaned when Katie jumped on my body. My best friend sure had a way of getting people to wake up.

Eventually I sat up. "Katie, you're my best friend and I love you, but why are you in my house?" I honestly didn't mind that she was, but I was always curious.

"Because today's the day!" She happily shouted and I rolled my eyes but my insides where a jumbled mess. Today was the day we graduated.

"I can't believe that we're finally done with high school!" She happily gleamed. She put her arms straight out and fell straight back onto my bed with a soft thud.

"I know, it seems like only yesterday we were sitting on my couch giving each other blindfolded makeovers." We laughed at the memory before I kicked Katie downstairs while I went to take a shower.

***

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure everything's back to normal." I heard Katie's voice echo from where I was standing at the top of the stairs.

"Good." My mother replied. "Those first few weeks were awful, I couldn't bare to send her off to college knowing that things weren't okay between those two."

It didn't take a genius to figure out that they were talking about Lane and me. I sighed and walked back into my bedroom to get dressed.

My mom was right, those first few weeks had been really hard. Lane and I kept our distance at first. Not because we wanted to avoid each other, but because neither of us went out of our way to speak and make plans with one another.

On several occasions I had broken down in front of my friends about the two of us. I missed my best friend, ex or not, we made a promise to be okay and at that moment we weren't doing a very good job on keeping it.

That being said, we were currently at this weird in between stage where we hung out with our group of friends, which now included Calvin, but we wouldn't really talk when we were alone in the same room, even though it had been months since the break up.

There were also a few times throughout the second half of the school year where we were paired up as partners for a class activity, but even then not much was said. We had our moments when he would crack a joke and we would laugh like old times, but then it seemed like we would realize what was happening and suddenly stop and go back to our silence. We both still had feelings for each other, and it was obvious. This decision was for the best though. Right?

I didn't like how things were going, but it was progress to say the most.

I finished getting ready and hurried down the stairs to my mom and Katie.

"Hey, Ellie, we don't have to be at the school to get ready until one, so do you want to grab some lunch in a few minutes before we head over?" Katie sat down at the kitchen counter.

"Lunch?" I tilted my head slightly to the side. "Isn't it a little early for that?" She laughed slightly.

"Ellie, you do realize its already 11:30?" My eyes widened.

"Its already that late?" She nodded.
"Well then yeah, sure, just let me grab some money and we can go." I ran upstairs quickly to grab some cash and hurried back downstairs.

"...don't worry Becky, it'll go back to normal soon." Why do they always have to talk about me when I'm not even gone for a minute? Ignoring them, I just acted as normal as possible.

"Ready Katie?" She jumped slightly but quickly regained her composer.

"Yeah, I was thinking Panera?" I smiled and nodded. Cheddar broccoli soup in a bread bowl sounded good to me!