Chapter 2

I felt rejected, and we weren't even dating.

"Wh-what do you mean you have a girlfriend?" I finally managed to spit out. The others had already been sharing their shock, while I was stuck in shock.

I guess he didn't hear me, or he was ignoring my question because he didn't respond.

"Who's the sucker that has to put up with you?" Kristen laughed to herself.

"That's so cute!" Natalie squealed- a little louder than necessary.

"Why didn't you tell us to got a babe, we want to meet her!" Cam yelled and Drew agreed.

"Don't call my girl a babe!" Lane was now standing in Cam's face yelling and getting very angry. Well that was fast.

"Guys! Calm down, and just let Lane talk!" Natalie was always the sensible one; she always kept the peace.

"It's just a kiss! Lane needs to man up!" I heard someone yell. It might have been Drew, but I don't really know for sure.

While everyone was yelling, Katie just came over by me and comforted me in silence. Lane had many girlfriends in the past, but he was always the type of guy that would still play these games, like spin the bottle. They were just that, games. So when he refused to kiss me, we knew this must be something serious, which made me somewhat upset, okay very upset.

Natalie finally got everyone settled down and Lane explained everything to us.

"Well, I met her about a week ago." He started. "I was riding around with Brian and Reed" two of his older friends, "we decided to go to the movies. I got my ticket and went up to get some snacks and when I turned around from the candy counter, I bumped into her."As he was talking he had this massive grin on his face, which made my heart ache even more. He kept playing with his hands and looking down. That was very unusual for someone as confident as him. Lane still hasn't said her name yet, and I don't think I'm the only one who has noticed this.

"She's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen." My face paled. It hurts.

"You mean second most beautiful , right Lane?" Kristen smirked.

"Of course Kristen." Lane laughed. They've almost totally forgotten about their 6th grade "relationship", which is good because that would have an effect on the rest of our group's friendship.

"What's her name?" Cam asked. Finally

"Umm... For now I think it would be better if you didn't know." Lane answered hesitantly.

"C'mon!"

"Dude, drop it." he continued the story and everyone did drop it.

"It turns out we were going to the same movie, so I invited her to sit by us-her and her friend. After the movie we exchanged numbers and hung out a couple times till I finally asked her to be my girlfriend; it was soon, I know, but she's just so special to me already." Oh gag me.

I snorted just loud enough for Katie to hear me and she chuckled as she got up to use the restroom.

"I was actually with her today, but she had to go home early, so I came here."

"Of course." I mumbled.

"What'd you say Ellie?" Lane asked. Shit, he heard me.

"Nothing, I was just talking to Katie." My eyes got wide, It was then I realized Katie got up to go to the restroom a couple minutes ago. By the skeptical look on Lane's face, he realized it too.

"Katie's not in the room."

Drew started laughing, "I think Ellie's jealous!"

Everyone but Lane and I laughed and I Immediately got red, no one, not even Katie knew about three summers ago, when we were going to be freshmen.

Here I was, sitting in a golfcart, laughing again, at one of Lane's totally not funny jokes just to make it seem like he was funny.

"Hahaha, Lane you're hilarious!"

"Not as funny as you! I love you for your jokes!" My breathing stopped. I knew he was messing around, but that word got to me every time and made my heart flutter.

"I really like spending time with you Ellie, it's so easy going."

"I really can't believe how much I like you." I thought, smiling at myself. I looked up to see a kind of sad but uncomfortable frown on his face.

"No Ellie....you can't like me, that would ruin everything." My eyebrows hitched in confusion. Why'd he say that.

Shit. Had I said that out loud. shit shit shit

"I was just kidding Lane!" I gave him a smile of reassurance. When I looked at him, I'm not sure if he believed me, but they way he looked at me, it seemed like he was almost...sad?. Nevertheless, he smiled back. We carried on the rest of day as normal and put all of that behind us, not letting that awkward little moment change us.

Everyone laughed as I looked over at Lane who just smiled with the rest. Good, he must have forgotten about that night by now, God knows we've both been trying to. Katie soon returned by my side and we spent the rest of the night watching movies and watching the guys do stupid dares- some that may or may not have involved seeing how many of my bras the could put on.

Around 1am everyone left, well, so I thought.

I just said goodbye to Katie when I went back downstairs to pick up. I heard a deep voice as I reentered the living room in my basement.

"Ellie, we need to talk." I jumped and let out a scream that I'm sure woke up my parents.

"Wtf! Lane you scared the crap out of me! I thought you left!" I whisper-yelled.

"I'm sorry, but I needed to apologize-did you just say 'wtf'?-nevermind- I wanted to apologize about the game earlier, I know I embarrassed you." His cheeks were glowing a light shade of pink.

I froze and gave him a forced smile. "It's ok, you're obviously very dedicated to your...girlfriend." I couldn't help but grimance as I spit the word out of my mouth.

"That's actually what I wanted to talk about." He looked me in the eyes and there was no joking signs on his face.

Oh this has to be good.

***

A/N

Hey! Hope you like it so far, don't worry the plot gets better as you read I promise!

Now I already have most of the story lined out, but if you have any ideas about what should happen, let me know!!! Thanks!

Comment, Vote, Share!

~E