Chapter 19

A narrow stream of light just barely shines through my blinds and finds its way to my eyes. I groan and turn around so I could face away from the annoying sun.

I was awake but refused to get out of bed. I lied there and stared up at my ceiling thinking back to the events of the previous night. Why did Lane accuse Alex of trying to use me? Alex is amazing, he would never do that. Why does Lane have to act so strange sometimes? Oh well, tonight I was going to have a great time with my friends and let the night go with the flow. I didn't need extra weight on my shoulders.

I finally got my lazy ass out of bed around 11:45 and got into the shower. The hot water helped me clear my mind and relax. I used some shampoo that I used only when I was going to straighten my hair. It took me forever to get my hair to cooperate by myself, so I would leave it for my friend's to tame.

I quickly dried off and clipped on the starfish necklace that Alex had bought me. I smiled widely thinking back to that day. My mind was wandering everywhere and soon Peyton came into my thoughts. I haven't had to deal with her for a while, maybe she let our past go and decided to leave me alone...or just realized all my problems without her and liked to watch me suffer, I think I'll go with that one.

As I walk downstairs I could smell the fresh breeze coming in from the open windows in the kitchen. It was going to be a perfect day for homecoming, we would be able to take our pictures in the park this time. Every year the students all go to the park for pictures before the dance, but if it's rainy like last year, we have to figure something else out. Luck is on my side for my Senior homecoming.

***

"It's sad if you think about it." Natalie sighed as she ran the straightener through another chunk of my curls. "This is our last high school homecoming."

We all looked at her and gave soft smiles.

"You're right," Katie said. "It feels like the school year just started and it's already this time of the year."

"Come on guys!" Kristen shouted while standing up. "Let's make tonight the best night of our lives so far!" Kristen was right. We all started bursting out with laughter.

"Hahahaha, that's the hahaha last time I try to be heartfelt hahaha!" Kristen gasped out between breathes. On that note we went back to the previous aura that was in the room before that conversation and finished getting ready.

"What time are the guys getting here?" I questioned.

"Any second now!" Natalie yelled from the kitchen. As if on que, the doorbell rang through the house.

Drew, Cam, Alex and Cole all walked through the doorway. Neither Cam nor Natalie had dates for the dance, so they decided to go together, as friends of course. Natalie was going to ask Jack, but he actually was out of town this weekend, unfortunately.

"You girls all look beautiful!" Alex commented pulling me into a hug.

"Not so bad yourself!" I joked looking him up from top to bottom and nodding approvingly. His tie was the perfect shade of teal to match my dress and his hair was styled up into a small quiff. He playfully rolled his eyes and kissed my forehead.

"Shall we head to the restaurant?" Drew asked in a fancy snob voice.

"We shall." Katie replied.

***

Dinner was going great. We were all having a good time and the food was fantastic! I'll admit that I was a bit depressed that I wouldn't be spending my last homecoming night with Lane. We offered him and Peyton to come out with us, Lane was all for it, but Peyton wanted to go to some fancy place that Lane would never have gone to if it wasn't for her. Because of her, I was away from my best-ex best friend on what was going to be the best night of my life...so far. I know it seems silly, but I always assumed that at some point in my highschool life, Lane and I would end up together, but I guess not. I have Alex now, and he's all I need, right?

***

I walk into this atmosphere for the last time. The special "homecoming only" decorations and cameras are everywhere. Blue and white camouflaging our regular gymnasium. Along the walls, all of the streamers,and the pile of balloons in a giant chandelier-type shape on the ceiling, it was all outstanding. All of our pictures in the park turned out great, and the wild night was just about to start. So far, so good.

I take in my surroundings for the third time and smile at how great everything is. I see the freshmen standing around, not knowing exactly what is acceptable or not; they'll know soon.

The music starts and my friends and I don't waste any time. I laugh at the freshmen's faces when they see that highschool dances consist of mostly grinding on each other, they need to lighten up! I grab Alex as a slow song comes on, and I see the others doing the same, grabbing their dates and making their ways to the center. Lane and Peyton are here, and I have to say, they look really good together; Peyton's dress is perfect for her.

I suddenly feel self-conscious and a slight frown appears on my face.

"Ellie, you look gorgeous." Alex smiled as if he knew he just read my mind. My smile returns once again, and I focus on my handsome boyfriend in front of me.

"Attention! Attention please!" Luke, our student council president, says into a microphone on the stage. "We are about to announce the winners of the 2014 homecoming king and queen!" He gleamed. The crowd was silent, all eyes on Luke as he took the envelope with the winners names and started opening it.

Suspense and tension grew with each moment. I honestly had no idea who would get it, and I can say I wouldn't care if it wasn't me.

"And your homecoming king is........Lane Ryder!" The audience cheered as he slowly walked his way onto the stage to except his crown. "We have our king, but the question is, who will be our queen?" Not me, anyone but me. I now wanted nothing to do with homecoming court.

"Your queen.......Ellie Karberg!" I paled instantly and looked at all my friends. Some of them were happy for me, like Cam and the twins, some gave me a concerned and simpathetic look, like Katie and Drew, lastly, there were whos looks could kill-or in this case, only Peyton. She gave me an evil glare and almost growled at me. I glanced at Alex to see his reaction, but there wasn't really one, not a real one that is. He smiled, but he looked angry at the same time.

"Ellie? You out there?" Luke asked. I nodded to myself and made my way onto the stage to have the crown placed upon my head. Lane gave me a smug grin and I rolled my eyes. At least this is it, I thought, I don't have to do anything else except take a few pictures.

Just a little bump in the road, but this was still going to be a night a would never forget.