Chapter 8

"Ellie, I need to talk to you." Lane said seriously. I closed my locker door and looked at him.

"Uh-yeah of course." He pulled me close to him as we leaned up against the lockers at school. My heart was rapidly beating in my chest.

"I'm about to ask you a serious question." He was wearing a small smile on his face as he pulled my lips closer to his.

"Will you give me the honor and....wake up?" What?

BeepBeepBeepBeepBeep!

I immediately sat up in my bed as I groaned and smacked at my alarm so it would shut up. Hey, it deserves to be hit after what it did! Lane was about to ask me out and it woke me up!

I couldn't help but smile back at the thought of the dream. I sighed before wondering why I had my alarm set. School! I suddenly remembered as I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to shower.

As I was leaving the conditioner sit in my hair, I remembered that Lane said he had a big surprise for me today. I was trying to think what it could be when I heard a pounding at my door.

"Ellie, hurry up before you use up all the hot water for my shower!" my dad yelled at me through the door. I just rolled my eyes and started rinsing my hair. I finished my shower and got dressed and I went to my room to finish getting ready. It was the first day of school, I had to put some effort into looking okay! Even though I'll probably start looking like a homeless person after today.

When I went downstairs for breakfast, I noticed my mom had already left for work. I was already running a little late, so I grabbed an apple and jumped into the passenger seat of my dads car. I have my license, just not a car. But it didn't really bother me too much. I got to use it when I needed to.

My dad dropped me off and I went to sign up for a locker. It was still 50 minutes before school started, but when I said I was late, I ment I was late for meeting up with Katie and the twins so we could all get lockers next to each other. My eyes wandered around the school looking for my friends, I finally saw them in line for the locker sign up.

"There you are!" Kristen shouted at me-too loudly, might I add. "We didn't think you would ever show up! Now come and get in line by us before people notice!" She whisper-shouted the last part so the rest of the line wouldn't notice I cut. Luckily for us, the people right behind us in line were in a conversation and didn't even pay us enough attention to give us the time of day.

We ended up getting lockers 345-348. It was nice because our locker choice was only by a few others. I was starting to put my books away when I turned around and bumped into someone. "Oh! I'm sorry I should've watched where-Peyton?" What the actual hell was she doing at our school. She gave me a smug expression and was about to speak up, when Lane rushed over by us.

"Ellie!" He spoke excitedly with a huge grin on his face. "This is the surprise I had for you, Peyton transfered to our school!" What!? "She told me the other night on our date, but I left that part out when I was telling you everything else cos I wanted it to be a surprise!"

"Oh! So this is your friend Ellie that you were telling me sooo much about!" Peyton smiled the fakest I have ever seen and it was almost sickening how sweet she was trying to be. Lane was talking about me? Aw. So she's still playing dumb about not knowing me huh? It was just now that I realized my friends were still behind me by their lockers, obviously enjoying the show that was being put on. They knew what Peyton did to me and how she was acting so fake, I saw them give me a discusted look about what was going on and I turned back to face Lane.

I guess Lane thought that we were going to be best friends, because he started telling us that we both loved some of the same activities.

"So it looks like you two will be locker neighbors then!" Lane smiled happily. Peyton and I both gave him the best We-are-honestly-happy faces we could and he told me he'd see me in AP Calculus and hugged Peyton as he walked away.

My friends were now standing right behind me, all of us giving Peyton a death stare that she was returning, equally filled with hate.

"I had a feeling you were the Ellie Lane's been talking about." She finally broke the silence. "He's mentioned having a best girl friend and your name slipped out every now and then, but I guess now I know that it really is you." She coldly spit out. "But I suppose if Lane likes you then-"

"If you think things are going to be different your wrong." I strongly retorted.

"No, of course not." She said in an obvious tone. "What I was about to say, is that Lane likes you as a friend," She put as much emphasis on friend as possible, "and he likes me as much more then that. As surprising as it is, I actually like this one; I think I'll try with him and if he thinks that we've never met and wants us to get along, then we're going to have to play along. Think you can handle that?" She was now talking to me like I was a 3 year old. "Just stay out of my way, and don't let your little crush mess up what Lane and I have, kay?" she smiled wickedly as she walked away. She suddenly stopped and turned around. "See ya in class El Bell. I grimaced at my old nickname and she continued down the hallway.

"I can't believe that witch goes to our school now." Katie said with discust clear in her voice.

"I'm so sorry," Natalie tried comforting me, "but we're here with you this time so you won't have to deal with her alone." I tried to force a smile but it was no use, I was too pissed.

"Thanks guys, but I'll be fine. There must be something that Lane likes about her that I guess we don't know about, so for his sake, let's just try to get along."

"I bet he only likes her because she gives good head!" Natalie and Katie both slapped Kristen's arm. Kristen had a weird way of trying to make people feel better. I just laughed at her comment, and told the twins I would see them at lunch, considering I didn't have any classes with them in the mornings. Katie and I grabbed our books and walk to our first class. Oddly enough, we had the same schedule for two years in a row now, but hey, I'm not complaining.

We entered room 102 and saw that we would have this class with Cam and Drew as well as Lane. I sure feel sorry for the teacher in here, having to deal with the five of us. Katie and I never misbehaved, but we did add to some of the class disruption. oops.

As usual, the teacher came in, gave us papers with rules and other useless information and then we got to talk for the rest of the time. Cam and Drew knew that I had known Peyton before Lane, but they didn't know much else about the situation, so there wasn't much I could say around them, in case they would happen to tell Lane. Instead of quietly talking like good students, we got a game of paper football going, and before we knew it, the bell rang. The rest of the day went like that, as seniors, we were so used to the system it all just seemed like one, repeditive motion. During lunch, Peyton seemed to have found a friend group to sit with-more witches, go figure- and Lane sat with us along with the other guys. He was worried that Peyton thought that we didn't accept her, but we simply told him that we were friends, but just haven't had enough time to get very close with her. He seemed a little dissapointed and a negative look crossed his face, but when we reassured him that we would all make sure to talk to her more, his smile returned.

Eventually, school ended and we headed for day number two of Hell. It was brutle as always, but now we only had one more day left! I walked out of practice with Katie and the twins beside me, and was surprised to see that Lane was waiting there for me. He gave Katie a smile and said that he would give me a ride home. The girls just raised their eyebrows at me and walked out the doors laughing.

"What are you doing here?" I honestly had no idea.

"I came to give you a ride home!" He said almost a little too peppy. I raised my brow at him.

"Funny, now what's the real reason?" I saw through his sad excuse for a lie and he chuckled and shook his head.

"I can't get anything past you." He mumbled just loud enough for me to hear. "I uh," he suddenly got figgety and looked down at his feet, "I need some more help." Oh, that's why he was being too friendly.

I put my hand on his shoulder, "I told you I'd help, there's no need to beat around the bush!" I half laughed.

"I know," he spoke, now looking into my blue-grey eyes with his crystal blue ones, "but this is....a little different" He gave me an awkward smile.

Lane Ryder, what now?