Chapter 7

Rinng. Rinnng. Rinnnng.

I was pacing around my room waiting for him to answer. Just as I was about to say screw it and hang up, I heard his voice.

"E-Ellie?" He basically asked me.

"Er-Yeah, hi Lane." I hesitently replied. "I was wondering how your, uh, date went." I don't think I've ever felt more awkward talking to Lane then I do right now.

"I thought you were mad at me, I wasn't expecting you to call." I could hear the awkwardness he felt in his voice as well.

"Hey," I tried to make the conversation a little lighter, "remember the rules you agreed too! You're not getting rid of me that easily." We both chuckled lightly.

"Well, do you-do you think I could come over and talk about it?" He sounded kind of nervous as he said this.

"Yeah, of course!" I could almost see him smiling as I told him this, followed by me yelling at him, jokingly of course, to be here in 10 minutes.

Sure enough, he was here in nine (yes I kept track!) and we're currently sitting in my living room, in the same seats that I stormed off on him last time.

"So," he said, breaking the silence, "what do you want to know?" I smiled widely at him. "Everything!" He smiled just a widely and told me everything.

Lane's P.O.V flashback to date.

It was currently noon and I was parked outside Peyton's house. I shot her a text saying I was here, and she texted back telling me to give her five minutes, girls.

I sighed and thought about earlier yesterday when Ellie stormed away on me. This has been one of the only things on my mind lately-that and Peyton- and I kept wondering why she was so upset with me. I explained to her that the park was a lucky spot for me and I didn't expect her to be that upset. Was she jealous? I kept wondering. No, she told me a long time ago that we're just friends. My thoughts were cut short as I heard the front door of Peyton's house shut and I saw this beautiful girl with wavy brown locks blowing behind her.

I told her we were just going to the park, she seemed kind of dressed up in a mini-skirt and a rather sparkly and revealing top. I smiled though, Ellie would never dress up if we were going to the park like this. Wait, why am I comparing her to Ellie? I physically shook my head to get rid of the thoughts as Peyton opened the car door.

"Hey, Lane!" She smiled brightly at me. "You look great!" She explained as I looked down to see the basketball shorts I bought yesterday and a T-shirt I won at a football camp. I don't know why she said I looked great, must be a typical date sort of thing.

"Thanks, so do you." She sweetly smiled at my comment and her cheeks got rosey. I grinned at the gorgeous girl in front of me.

We sang along to some music on the way to the park, my favorite song, Don't Stop, by 5 Seconds of Summer came on and I screamed out the lyrics, which made Peyton laugh. As I parked my Range Rover by the side of the street, I ran to open the door for Peyton. She thanked me and I hesitantly grabbed her hand. She didn't pull back, which definantly helped my confidence.

We swung our arms in silence as we walked down our favorite, well my favorite, trail. I didn't know what to say when Ellie's advice basically screamed at me. Ask her about herself! Show her you care! Right!

"So tell me about yourself?" I asked while giving her my famous smirk. She gave me a shocked look and I mentally patted myself on the back and thanked Ellie.

"Well.." I listened carefully as she explained to me how she was an only child and how she loves to shop and doesn't really like pets too much, besides her own. Along with other typical hobbies and favorites of hers. She asked me some questions about myself, but there wasn't much to tell. The only tense moment was when I told her that Ellie was a best friend of mine and she helped me to ask Pey out. She kind of froze and when I asked her if she was ok, she just smiled and said she would love to meet Ellie some time. I figured she was fine and we continued our date by going back to my car and taking the picnic basket I brought out into an open area for a late lunch.

We ate, laughed and had a good time, and before I knew it, it was 5:15. "We better get going." I told her as I packed everything up. She nodded and we headed for the car.

I pulled into her driveway and looked at the beautiful girl. She looked at me and started to lean in. Was she going to kiss me! This is great, right? Then why do I feel like something is so wrong. Should I kiss her? Before I knew it, a pair of lips were planted on mine. They were warm and pleasant, but something just felt off. I didn't deepen the kiss when she ran her tongue over my lower lip and I pulled back fairly quickly. She gave me a confused look.

"Well see ya!" I said rather loudly as I squirmed in my seat.

"Thanks Lane, I had a great time and I hope we can do this again sometime." She said quietly.

"Of course we can, and I had a great time too" I smiled at her and she returned it. I made sure that she got into the house and then I backed out of the driveway and headed home. I didn't lie to her, I did have a great time and I do want to continue seeing her, but something felt off about the kiss. She wasn't a bad kisser, she was amazing actually, but I don't understand why I felt the way I did. When an idea occurred to me my eyes shot open. This could be a problem.

Ellie's P.O.V present

I sat and listened carefully to everything that Lane and Peyton did. I kind of zoned out during the part where Lane explained all of her likes, hobbies, family and other similar stuff that I already knew.

It was all perfect until he got to the kissing part. He could've left out that she was amazing, I cringed when he said that. I was in awe, however, when he told me about pulling away because something felt off. I thought to myself that this was probably why he sounded nervous over the phone. He didn't act too phased by what he felt. He said he couldn't explain it, but he'd find a way to make this feeling go away.

He was in all smiles again when he thought back to how good of a time he had, and I'm happy for him. It still hurts like crazy, but I'm happy for him.

I told him that he seemed to do everything fine on the date and he gave me a proud look as he got up to leave. We hugged goodbye and it seemed to last a second longer then usual, but I might have just imagined that. I shut the door as he waved bye and right after, there was a two-knock sound on my door and saw Lane standing there.

"Ellie! i almost forgot to tell you! Tomorrow, I have a big surprise for you!" He seemed super excited but I couldn't even begin to guess what the surprise was. It's Lane we're talking about here! It could be anything-and I mean anything.