Chapter 24

Ellie's P.O.V

"I'm sorry Ellie, I didn't realize you felt the way you did, like I had abandoned you, I did abandon you." Lane's eyes were red, and he was about ready to crash and burn. He placed a hand on my arm, but I instinctively backed away. I've been afraid of being touched ever since homecoming.

"Lane, it's okay, you're here now, and we're fixing things, everything will be okay." Honestly, I was still mad, but he saved my life and he was my best friend, I wanted to save that.

"Why'd you do it though? Why'd you leave?" He questioned me.

I sighed before glancing up into his eyes. "Honestly? I was embarrassed. I was scared and I didn't know how this would effect us, whatever us is." My voice started to shake, and he grabbed hold of my cold hands and comforted me in silence.

It was a few minutes before he decided to talk again. "Can we just, forget about our past, and move on. It took me almost loosing you to realize that I can't handle living without my best friend." His voice got softer as he spoke, and my jaw dropped slightly at his words. I didn't know how to respond, so I just hugged him. I'll admit, hearing that he only wanted to be friends stung, but for now, I would happily except it.

"Are we okay?" He asked me.

"We aren't completely fixed, but yeah, we'll be okay." I gave him a small smile and embraced him once again.

***

"No way! Taylor Lautner is way hotter than Josh Hutcherson!"

"Josh has Taylor by a mile!"

"Lane?"

"Yeah?"

"I think we need to change subjects."

"Yeah, ....this never happened, agreed?"

"Agreed."

"Good!" Lane exclaimed while stretching out on the couch. We had just gotten done with another movie, and were in an awkward debate about who the hottest stars are.

Lane was about to speak, when his phone vibrated. His eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he read the message.

"Um, I better go." Lane said after scanning over the text.

I was confused, it must have been whoever texted him.

"Why? Who texted you?"

"Uhm..no-o one, it's just, I-I should head." He nervously stuttered.

"It was Peyton wasn't it?" Sadness was clear in my voice.

He sighed. "I'm sorry El, but I left her that night to help get you out of the party and she's still pissed. I have to make it up to her, she is my girlfriend."

My heart dropped a bit at that word. I completely forgot about that.

"I know you two don't get along very well, but maybe we could change that, yeah?" He asked, hopeful.

"Sure, sounds great." I gave him a fake smile, thanked him for coming over and hugged him goodbye.

I sat alone on my couch once again, but this time, things were better. I was in a better mood and was actually ready to start my life again. My parents called earlier and told me they would be home sometime this week, and I couldn't wait.

It was Friday night, but I planned on just hanging out at home and getting my shit together before I actually got into public again.

I didn't really know what to do with my night, so I just took another shower. The warm water cleared my mind and the soap left me smelling of pomegranates and vanilla. I sung along to my IPod as I showered, and kept jamming as I stepped out into the chilly air. I put on a pair of sweats and a cutoff and then put my hair into a messy bun on the top of my head. Hey, I had no one to impress tonight.

I warmed up some soup that we had in the cabinet for dinner and hummed to the Five Seconds of Summer song that was playing loudly through my iPod dock.

As I ate my soup, I couldn't help but let my mind wander. I had so many things to get caught up on with Lane, and I had so many questions to ask him, some a bit more personal then others, but if we were going to get back to where we started in our friendship, the questions shouldn't bother him. How far had he and Peyton gone? How big of a bitch was she being lately? Okay, maybe I won't ask him that one. What about that day on the football field, when he punched Alex? What were they talking about?

What I wanted to know most, however, was why he ditched so much school and I found him drunk. I was going to ask about it tonight, but I didn't quite know how to, it wasn't exactly a common topic to bring up. I sighed and put my soup bowl in the sink.

Next time, next time I'll ask.

He told me he'd do anything to fix our friendship, but with Peyton still in the way, I don't know how well that's going to work.

***

A/N

Hey guys! So this was kind of just a filler chapter cuz I'm not exactly sure where I'm taking this story, so if you have any ideas don't be afraid to comment them!

Thanks!