Chapter 28 - Daddy Drip

Saville's POV:

Science says that humans cannot discover any new colors due to the limitations of our own eyes. What we see is all we will ever naturally see, even if the world is 3 times, 10 times more colorful.

Blue had never been this nauseating.

The color was unlike one I had ever seen before in my life. It wasn't harsh, but it was pigmented enough to observe on the skin. His veins were a subtle contrast in red. His cracked lips were painted with dried blood. The impossible stillness, the dark pulsating silence rocked my soul.

I stood frozen in place, clothed in pajamas and a thick sweater. My body refused to let me move, let alone look away from the sight in front of me. I may have hated the man, he may have beat me, he may have done a lot of things, but... I knew him.

At sometime in my life, I was in love with this man. I had stood across from him in a tux and exchanged vows. Words filled with love and emotion filled my ears, while this vision of his cold stiff body stood stark in front of me.

So many vows had been broken, so many lines had been crossed, and yet I stood here with tears rolling down my eyes. No amount of clothing or warmth could rid this deep chill that had entered my body. My cheeks were red from just standing in the room, and yet I feared this feeling would stay long after I return to normal temperatures.

Finn and Sabrina stood in the waiting area for me to "identify" the body. Gil had apparently been found in a trashed hotel room without any identification. The police were then legally obligated to notify next of kin, which I guess I am.

The coroner was giving me all the time and space I guess he thought I needed. I don't know how I'm going to walk out of this building. I can't come out as unscathed as I came in. Despite my feelings toward my husband, this will follow me. There's a reason people believe in ghosts.

A haunting has never had to be something supernatural. It doesn't have to mean doors closing on their own, or hovering furniture. Sometimes it's a feeling. When someone you loved dies, their memory, their feelings, their faces linger with you. I don't know how long this will last, but I can feel the beginning of a haunting.

RING RING RING

The silence was so thick you could hear it, and yet the explosion of sound from my pocket didn't startle me. Gritting my teeth, I palmed my pajamas pants for the pocket containing my phone. I didn't need to read the contact name, I knew there was only two people who would have cared to call right now.

"Alex." I said in a monotone voice.

"Where the hell are you Saville? I thought we were passed the days of you slipping out in the middle of the night?" I could hear his mouthwatering sleep-tinged voice rumble through my body.

I didn't have the energy to fight about my intentions. I didn't really even have the energy to speak, so I kept it short and decided to do the wrong thing once again.

"I'm in the hospital at the moment, but I'm heading back now. I'll see you soon Alex." I spoke, ending the call before he could utter a rebuttal.

I knew I was risking a punishment, but I sincerely didn't care right now.

________

It took a bit of convincing to get Finn and Sabrina to leave me at my Dom's apartment building. They eventually drove away remaining quite reluctant but allowing it either way. When I saw them turn the corner at the end of the block, I began my walk to the nearby bodega.