The War (25)

The War 

Alyssa is escorted back to the hut by her Uncle Astator. Her mind is spinning from all the things she's finally going to let go. Brandon, Jim, Dev, Emily, Miranda, Julian, her life. She's going to give up everything to save the man she loves. She wishes that she can feel brave about it, but it's too much now. The cup has overflown with water. She asked for all this to end. She wanted normality and now she's going to get it. Death is the only way she'll escape all the Immortality that has turned her life upside down. Death is now her best friend. Long ago she decided to commit suicide because she was raped. She felt like her life was an embarrassment. She chose to die. Now death choses her as his next victim.

"What will you do?" Astator asks her. He knows, he knew all along.

Her sad eyes meet his worried ones. She sits in front of the fireplace in a trance. No more tears. No more fear. No more hiding. She lets the warmth cover her skin. "I will sacrifice myself to end the war between the Underworld and the Heavens for Julian, for me."

"War is approaching." Yenta announces. Her voice is heard around the long redwood table.

Julian doesn't comment. He remains silent, sitting at the head of the table with Hans and Yenta at his sides.

"I called Gabriel." Miranda plays with her hands on the table. They have all gotten together to form a meeting, but no one discusses their plans on the field. She only knows one thing. "The God has decided to put him in front line in war." Miranda lets a tear slip. She looks like the definition of mess just like Julian. His hair has grown longer. There's even a beard that shows. His eyes are tired and heartbroken. The king is actually showing his emotions through his eyes.

Julian shakes his head. She's not allowed to share that with the enemy. As much as they all want to think otherwise, because they've tolerated each other from the hunt to find Alyssa, the Elims and the Underworlders are now enemies. They will fight against each other. Julian is on the side of the Underworld.

"Are you underestimating his skill to stay alive?" Hans comments.

"He can be killed." She looks around to every single one of them with revulsion showing in her clear blue eyes. "We all could be killed. Especially the ones in front line."

Hans nods. "We are all strong. We will see who wins."

"The war is tomorrow." Caledonia avoids everyone's eyes.

Yenta nods, not in the mood to insult the goddess. "At sunrise." She clarifies to everyone.

"The light will be long." Hans states.

Nathaniel, the Head Elim Guard, bows his head to his thoughts. "It's all happening and there's no way to stop it."

Yenta abruptly stands, shocking everyone. "We need to fight with honor." She says with a newfound voice of courage. "Your heir." She points at the Heavens' side. "Our queen." She points at the Underworld's side. "She will come back. And when she does, she needs to see our realms still intact. We will fight, we will fight for Alyssa."

Miranda stands up from her own chair. "Yenta's right. We fight for her and for courage."

"For honor." Hans stands to join them.

"For love." Caledonia joins the group.

"For peace between the realms." Nathaniel stands.

"For our past." Gabriel's voice booms from the doorway. His eyes show respect towards Julian for the first time. He moves to take Miranda's hand as she leans on his shoulder with affection.