War between Lovers (6)

War between Lovers

"How are you holding up?" Brandon asks Alyssa as they walk towards their lockers. The hallway is filled with smiling teenagers, and disinterested teachers who want to end the day faster than the actual students.

"I see that news spreads rather quickly." She gazes upon her classmates who secretly stare at her direction, but look away as if she'd attack them. It takes her back four years ago. They did do the same thing.

He shrugs. "Don't let it affect you."

"It does affect me when everyone in this school is waiting for a ticking bomb to go off if they even think about coming near me."

"It shouldn't surprise you. They did this before and you didn't mind."

"That was because the man they were afraid of was my boyfriend. Now he's my ex and I'd really like being treated like another teenager instead of a mob wife."

"They'll come around as soon as they see that you and Julian aren't together."

She raises her eyebrow. "Do you think that'd really help?"

"No?"

"Didn't think so." She groans at the distance between the passing students. "Did you see what happened at the parking lot?"

"No, what happened?"

"I was talking to Jaycee Keller-"

"The blonde who's captain of the volleyball team, and has that dragon tattoo on her shoulder?"

"Yeah, that's her. So I was talking to her about maybe getting a live band to perform at prom instead of having Matt's uncle play. You know? Since I mentioned it to the senior class, and you know what she said?"

"That it was a great idea?"

"No. She said that she doesn't think it'd be a good idea to talk to me when Julian is around."

"Was he around?" He asks suspiciously.

"No! That's what I find irritating. Everyone's treating me like a disease now that Julian's back."

"You really know how to pick them, Aly."

She sighs while leaning against the side of her locker. "I know that Julian isn't the type of man to keep close, but he won't take out a knife and stab you with it."

"Aly, you have to understand everyone. I might not like him. I actually hate him, but the point is that he's not someone that you'd want on your bad side. He's the definition of dangerous and he has his mark all over you."

"You're not scared though." She states.

"Being brave and scared are two different things. I'll always be with you, but there's something about him that's wrong, don't you feel it around him?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's a feeling that you'd have the urge to run. I know it sounds crazy, but it's the way he looks at you I guess."

"Now, you're just overreacting, Brady." She laughs.

He shrugs. "May be, but one thing is for sure, you need to stay away from him. He's not good, Alyssa. Even you know that."

She gently kisses his cheek. "Don't worry, I'll it make it my life's goal to stay away from him."

"Alyssa?" Brandon and Alyssa turns toward the man standing behind them.