Dark Control (19)

Dark Control

 Alyssa's eyes widen at the sight before her. Her mind is finally awake from her long sleep. "Dad? I mean Dev? I mean-" Alyssa looks around the kitchen to see her father standing, making his usual berry milkshake. She thought that Jim or Brandon were the ones to wake her with all the noise in the kitchen, but she's wrong.

She's seen her father more than he has ever seen Emily. She always thought of him as her father and she knew that someday she will have to face him, but she didn't think that day was coming this soon. She has had the idea in her head that she was going to be living alone now that she has found out that her parents aren't really her parents. She remembers how her parents were only really there for her economically. Maybe it was every kid's dream come true to have every material thing they could want and desire, but all Alyssa wanted was to see them. Finding out that Dev and Emily aren't her real parents was a hard blow to her. Finding out that she is an Immortal, with a god as a father, and a witch as her mother, was even harder.

Dev shakes his head with sad eyes. "Don't call me that. You could call me Dad. I will always see you as a daughter even if you're not in reality." He smiles at her with love in his hazel eyes. Love a father only has for his daughter. How could she take those hazel eyes for granted?

Alyssa smiles back and hugs him hard. "I love you, Dad." She says with tears threatening to come out. She's been a mess of emotions for the past few weeks. How she's not breaking down with an ice cream bucket in her hand is beyond her.

"I love you too, Aly-hap." He tries not to laugh.

"I hate that nickname." She scrunches her nose at him.

"I named you that ever since I first laid my eyes on you as a child. You were always so happy. I remember the day that I was assigned to you. The Royal family of Keepers personally picked me and Emily out of all the experienced Keepers. At first we were joyed with the honor, but then we found out that we were to pose as your parents. You could imagine what it was like for us. We're experienced fighters, but this assignment was beyond our knowledge. Emily was never a mother, and I was never a father. Things just got complicated after that."

She pulls away to get a cup of coffee. "Sounds complicated." She rolls her eyes playfully.

"You'll always be my Aly-hap." He teases.

Alyssa's smile slowly disappears. "Yeah." She mutters with sadness linking in her word.

He takes a deep breath. "Are you feeling well?"

She smiles while sadly nodding. "Yes, everything is fine."

"Something's wrong. Tell me what's on your mind."

Alyssa has a strong grip on her coffee. "Now that I know about whom I am, and who you really are to me. Are you going to move out?" She wants to think that they would treat her like parents would forever, but they probably didn't want it in the first place. Why would they want it now?

Dev nods. "I have to move back with my people, my wife."

He doesn't need to say more. She'd be selfish if she asks him to stay with her. That would mean him leaving his own family for her. She will never do that to someone. "It's okay. I'm fine." She lies. "You need to go to your wife. Maybe have kids of your own? I've caused you guys enough trouble. Plus, I can handle myself. I can cook, clean, and do laundry."

He raises his eyebrows in amusement. "You can cook only a few dishes, we always had a cleaner lady that comes whenever no one is home, and the same lady does our laundry."