Behind the Gates (5)

Behind the Gates

Alyssa would give her heart for the wish to forget the past week. Every day she wakes up with the same name running through her head. Julian. Every day she has to prove he's here. That he's here to stay. Sometimes she wants to run into his arms and forget ever being left in the first place. That isn't reality though. She can't go back to the man who broke her down so much, and now that she's learning to move on, he's back. It's not fair for her emotional side to deal with this right now.

Reality is so much harder than the fantasy dream she wishes to come true. After avoiding him, she decides that it would be best to finally go back to school. She can't hide forever between the walls of her room. If only there was a way she could just disappear. She could book a flight and leave, but she has too many responsibilities here that aren't fair to run away from. Her name is Alyssa Pike and she will be damned if Julian takes control of her again. It took her so long for her broken heart to heal. She won't give in to the temptation of breaking down, and break apart from everyone around her. She's strong. Hopefully she can prove it.

She closes her eyes. She takes the small framed picture that she's hidden so well from Brandon. She runs her fingers through the glass. Julian. Why does it have to be so hard?She thinks to herself. Actually, it's not that hard. She doesn't want anything to do with him. No matter what he says, or does, she won't let him hurt her again. She doesn't care if he's back. She doesn't care about his gentle caress when she broke down in front of him. She just doesn't care. She also doesn't care that he doesn't have any remorse for what he did. Love is blind, right? So she obviously needed to see him again after so long to see what was right in front of her. He's a selfish, heartless, cold, heartbreaker of a man.

"If I cared I wouldn't be able to do this." She throws the framed picture in the small trash bin. This will be the start of the new Alyssa. She'll be the one who's strong enough to face the torment of the past. Julian will never haunt her, or bring such love from her again. She has to move on, she needs to.

A faint chain of chimes fills her ears.

She rushes to grab the house phone resting on the kitchen's counter. "Hello?"

"Hey, sweetheart."

Alyssa frowns in disgust. This woman can't possibly be calling the Pike household. Does she have no embarrassment? "What do you want?" She snaps to the older woman.

"Um... You're father wanted to check in on you, but he just left to a meeting and wanted me to ask if you were alright." His secretary, Mila, stumbles over her words. Mila probably knows why Alyssa isn't as welcoming and friendly as she used to be.

"Next time he wants to check up on me, tell him to call himself."

"I'll be sure to let him know." Mila said calmly.

"I'm sure you will." Alyssa doesn't wait for a response and hangs up without guilt.

She throws the phone to the wall. How dare she call her home? How could she have the audacity to call? She wipes her face, acknowledging that's she's losing it. She smiles to herself. Nothing will be the same. And in any case of anger her best solution is to put a smile and move on before she damages anything priceless.

A knock at the door interrupts her thoughts.

She sits down knowing perfectly that he has a key to the house, and her being too caught up in pretending everything is fine, she really doesn't have the energy to open the door.

She can hear the footsteps coming her way.

"Hey." Brandon comes in with a confused and concerned expression. He's like a therapist. Nothing gets pass him when it comes to Alyssa, well sometimes at least.