Memories (7)

Memories

   "Jim??" Her eyes couldn't believe it. "Brandon! Jim's hurt!" Alyssa yelled when she saw him leaping through the front door.

That was a couple of days ago. Jim is recovering from his broken leg, and bruised body. She can't take the image of him from her head. Only one answer comes to mind when she thinks about his silence at the question she asked. 'Who did it?' Who would hurt a man and leave him broken without a reason?

That's when she started to fit the pieces together. The reason was clear and so was the culprit. Jim doesn't have enemies and it's less likely for him to even be at a bar to consider maybe a bar fight. It all leads to one man who's capable of doing that harm. Julian. Jim and Brandon took Julian's warning when he'd her pinned against the lockers. Brandon would always stay with her and make sure she'd be okay. Jim is a fighter. He's been taught to fight for what is right, and he probably went to follow Julian.

How can the man that she loved be turned into such a monster? Or was he like that when she was with him? Is that the reason that everyone, within distance, feared him?

She closes her eyes, not paying attention to the English lecture. School seems unimportant to her suddenly. She wants to just go home and check on Jim. She's convinced him to stay at her house while he recovers.

"Ms. Pike?" She looks up to notice the substitute teacher smiling politely at her.

"Yes?"

"What is your opinion on trust?"

She frowns at the question, but answers it either way. "Trust is earned by actions that actually speak louder than words. Trust is something that you can rely on when everything else seems so diverse, so complicated. Sometimes you ignore the small things that you distrust, but when you notice it, it's too late to go back. The point of trust is to acknowledge everything that comes along with it, just like love, but only it can be broken easier than the actual affection."

"Well done, Ms. Pike."

"Thank you."

She tunes out the teacher again and wonders on Julian's location. She may have been too shocked to fight back when he slammed her against the lockers, but this time it's different. He'll not hurt her friends like he did to Jim. She won't tolerate it. Wherever he is, he needs to be prepared because she won't go down without a fight.

Through the school day Julian's name was called during all her classes, but he wasn't present. It's been days since Julian left Jim broken. It's been days since she's walked around the school with her classmates acknowledging her friendship. It's been days since she's last seen Julian.

She opens the door of her guest bedroom. Jim lies down peacefully watching the news. He smiles when he notices her entering the bedroom.

"How are you feeling?" She asks him.

He gives her a genuine smile. "Better. You worry too much."

"I'm allowed to worry. You and Brandon are my closest friends. I don't think I'd be throwing a pool party if one of you got this hurt."

"A pool party does sound good though."

"I thought the military was very strict."

He presses the mute button. "Yeah, they are. Why would you ask that though?"

"Because that'd mean that parties are restricted, right?"

"I'm in the military, not boarding school, Alyssa." He chuckles. "We have fun just not too much, since we always have to be ready to move at any time."