Nightmares (3)

Nightmares

Alyssa awakes from the sounds of a beautiful melody. She's facing the ceiling. She stands slowly, the pressure eating at her. She walks out the living room, and carefully walks to her bedroom, not making a single sound. Each step is taken with caution, and perfect timing. Like a horror movie waiting for its climax.

She closes her eyes just outside her room. She can hear the notes reach their fullest chord. The melody is so calming, so loving. It can tell a story by just hearing closely to the change in notes. The passions reveal themselves in each note as it rises to a chorus that many tend to ignore. She takes a deep breath and opens her bedroom door. Her eyes open. Nothing in her room has changed. It's pale with modern, vintage styled furniture. She narrows her eyes when she notices the intruder and the instrument that she's left behind so long ago.

She sees a clone of herself playing the harp. The clone closes its eyes and plays for love. Playing for a make believe fairy tale being created with many inspirations. The sound is so beautiful that she sits right next to her clone-self on the long white bench. It's been so long since she was able to see the instrument she considered priceless. Staring between herself and the instrument, she runs her fingers against it without interrupting the clone. Just feeling the smooth surface, which her fingers longingly awaited, is much more than what she thought it would be. She misses it so much. Memories are what keep her from playing it all these years. If she ever played again, she would have to struggle with maintaining her memories away. Especially in her nightmares.

She could try to play again, but it would just be a past riding up to her present. Some things you have to let go. She has learned that first hand.

"It is quite beautiful, is it not?" Alyssa reopens her eyes and turns to the voice that she knows aren't of her clone or herself.

On the far wall, a woman stands staring at her with her arms crossed. Her strawberry blonde hair falls straight on her shoulders. Her icy blue eyes can penetrate a hole with the intensity behind them. "Who are you?" Alyssa questions the blonde beauty.

The woman uncrosses her arms to sit next to her. "My name is Miranda." She smiles lightly.

"Alyssa."

"I know."

Alyssa turns back around to face her clone, but the clone has vanished into thin air. It's disappeared. Only the instrument is left behind. "So you didn't answer my question." She turns back around to face the blonde haired woman. "This is a dream, right? Who are you?"

Miranda nods. "You could say that." She stretches her arms in front of her to relax. "Since I am somehow a fragment of your imagination, do spill out your heart to me." Alyssa stares at her uncertain if she should trust her. "Come on, I saw you look at the harp with longing." She points at the instrument. "Do not hold anything back." She encourages.

Alyssa glances at the instrument. "I do miss it, but I can't play anymore." She fights the urge to cry. This isn't the time to breakdown as much as she'd like to finally let all her painful tears out, she can't.

"Why not?" Miranda questions her with much interest.

"My heart isn't into it anymore." She sheepishly confesses.

"Oh, I understand. You are one of those, 'need-inspiration-to-do-something' type of girl." Miranda concludes.

"No. Not really. It's a long story." One she doesn't ever want to discuss. Memories are too painfully to unearth. She's worked too hard to leave it hidden. A nightmare terror that's far gone to ever bring itself back into her life willingly. The concert was enough.