[ s i x t y - f o u r ]

Harry's POV

"I'm going to look so pathetic."

"No, you're not." Gemma rolled her eyes.

"I am, she walks in with this new amazing boyfriend and I walk in with my sister."

"Excuse me, I believe you are very lucky to be walking in with the birthday girl, thank you."

I laugh as we walk into the venue, she'd really gone all out with the planning this year.

"Woah sis, this is cool." It was a huge hall, it was all dark colours as my sister is quite into being dark. There was food all along one side of a wall, a Dj desk, and a photo booth with 'Gemma's birthday bash' on the background of it.

People were already here dancing and chatting. I felt a little lost, I knew the boys weren't here yet.

I scanned the room for her but she hadn't arrived. This past year had been a strange one. I saw her start a new relationship and to be honest, it cut deep. He was some six foot, blonde Calvin Klein model. He seemed to be perfect for her, I haven't seen a photo of her not smiling with him yet.

Gemma said she's really happy, in a great place with her life, for that I am glad. I would of hated for her to have gone in herself and hid from the world, instead she blossomed. I saw her on so many ads and in so many magazines it was kind of strange if she wasn't in one.

She was happy, happy without me.

I thought hearing about her new boyfriend would send me crazy, but it didn't. Doesn't mean I'm over her, it just meant I knew she was over me and it was time for me to accept finally that we'd never be together. I was too stressful for her, I gave her too much to worry about, overthinking everything all the time. It wasn't healthy. I was just glad her new boyfriend wasn't Matt Healy.

As I stood to the side sipping some champagne I saw the doors open, in she came hand in hand with him, Louis on her other side. Louis muttered something to her before leaving, she hadn't seen me yet but I knew she'd be anticipating it, thinking about it.

I watched her walk over to Gemma, she gave her a tight hug before pulling away and saying something then laughing, it was a laugh that I always craved, her mouth wide, her eyes shut tight.

She moved to the side so her boyfriend could hug Gemma, as he hugged her Cait looked around the room her eyes briefly meeting mine. She instantly snapped her head back to Gemma who hadn't noticed our short eye contact.

"She looks amazing, right?"

Louis' voice made me jump ever so slightly. "Hmm? Who?"

Louis rolled his eyes. "My sister,"

I nod slightly. "Yeah, I guess."

She had cut her hair, she told me she wanted to grow it out but she had obviously changed her mind since. She seemed toned, as if she'd lost weight and gained it in the right places again. Does she go to the gym now?

"She's very happy." He comments again.

"I'm glad," I feel my wound slowly open again hoping that seeing her would make it easier, but it didn't.

"She asks me about you from time to time,"

I turn to look at Louis. "Yeah?"

He nods, "Not as much now, but sometimes."

"What do you say?"

"That you're Harry, of course you're alright."

I smile a little.

"But we both know that's a lie," He nudges.

I swallow. "I am alright."

"It's been a year mate, even through our tours you weren't the same."

I shrug. "Got to me, that's all. I'm on the mend, different hearts take different time."

"She will always love you, you know that?"

I look down. "I will always love her too,"

"Even if you aren't together, there will always be that connection. I still see her sometimes looking through her phone at old photos of you, she still has texts from you."

I smile. "I wouldn't expect Cait to not keep them."

"Just know that she may love Jamie, but she's not in love with him, not like she was with you." Louis patted my shoulder.

"Good to know," I sigh sipping my champagne watching her now dance with this new boyfriend of hers.