Chapter 22: Growth

Fenris and Ellen wake from a restful nights sleep. She turned to him, peppering sweet kisses along his ear as he smiled, keeping his eyes closed. "Good morning, Fea'mir."

She grinned into his skin, breathing him in. "Good morning, Emma lath." She cooed, sitting up lazily, stretching her arms above her head. "It's time to get up, we have to start training the new recruits." She was actually quite excited to see some of these new men under her charge. She hadn't trained since before their trip to the Winter Palace, she was hoping for a few challenges, maybe a spar or two.

Fenris groaned, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulled her close, trying to keep her in bed with him. "I am surprised you are able to stand after last night." He said, peeking through his lids, the corner of his mouth curling upward. "Not to mention you owe me a new set of armor."

She laughed, leaning on top of him as he rolled onto his back. "I am afraid I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh? Do you not remember cutting the armor off my body like a lustful mad woman? I could remind you." He said, rolling on top of her with a playful growl, nipping at the skin on her neck. She sighed in his ear, fueling him more as he started to press his hips against her.

She knew she could easily be swayed to stay in bed with him if he continued, but there was too much to do. They needed to train the new recruits, the new mages as well. They needed to start building a plan. She placed her hands on his cheeks and pulled his face to meet hers. "No, Emma lath, I know what you're trying to do and it's not going to work. We really do need to get up!" She said, giving him a quick firm kiss on his lips before sliding out from underneath him. He plopped down face first into his pillow, groaning in disappointment as she pulled away from him. She stretched her arms out to the side, feeling the tension leave her back as she walked to her wardrobe. Her thigh muscles pulled tightly with every stride, she was more sore than she realized. She put on her typical attire, but left her hair down. Since Fenris, she never really put it up anymore. With how much he played his fingers through it, she knew he preferred it that way.

As she looked at herself in the mirror she paused, realizing how different she looks. She looked well rested, healthy, happy. Her mind started to recall the weep full night after seeing Solas in the Fade. She looked at herself in this very mirror, looking tired and miserable, it seemed so long ago now. She began to reflect on how much her life had changed and grown in just under a years time. She's kept her clan safe, she played the game with nobility and won, secured an army. She looked through the mirror, watching Fenris as he got out of bed and jumped in his trousers. She hired a bodyguard, they fell in love, and are soon to be wed and share the rest of their lives together in complete happiness.

Overcome with emotion she walked over to Fenris as he put on his tunic and without a word she embraced him tightly with tears welling in her eyes. She wanted him to feel what she was feeling at this very moment, to know what he truly meant to her. He paused, surprised by her sudden embrace when he wrapped his arms around her, resting his cheek to the top of her head. "Fea'mir?"

She looked up at him with the purest love in her eyes, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Thank you Fenris, for everything, Ar lath ma, Emma lath."

He could feel his heart swell in his chest as she spoke with such feeling. However, he didn't understand why she was thanking him, it was he who should be thanking her. "Ar lath ma Fea'mir, but it is I who should be thanking you." She shook her head slightly, looking to the ground when he placed a finger under her chin, pulling her to meet his gaze. "You saved me from a life of distrust and loneliness. You have given me a life I never thought I could have, a home, a family, friends, and you."