Chapter 12: Morvain

Ellenwen woke from her slumber, irritated. She had searched high and low in the Fade with no luck in finding Solas. She realized with the lack of sunlight it was just before dawn, remembering Fenris and Gallevorn's dual she got up quickly and dressed. When she walked out from behind the divider she saw Fenris standing by the entrance with his back to her. He was so lost in thought that he didn't realize she was standing right behind him.

    She reached out putting her hand on his shoulder "Fenris? Are you okay?"

    He jolted slightly startled by her sudden presence. "Y-yes I am fine. I was just...thinking, sorry to worry you." He looked at her with adoring eyes, but they were laced with subtle uncertainty.

    She knew something plagued him. She reached her hand up to his cheek when he took it gently in his, placing a kiss to her palm before closing his eyes, leaning into it. It was such a small notion, but it made her heart melt and beat rapidly all at once.

    "You can talk to me Fenris, about anything." She said, looking him straight in the eyes as she spoke. He loved the way her eyes always held such a fierce determination. That look alone chipped away at the stone that she had so easily weakened around his heart. Every time a piece crumbled away he was struck with a new emotion. He was beginning to feel again a little at a time, because of her.

    "I wanted to talk about-"

    "Broody are you ready?" Varric yelled from the other side of their tent flap.

    "Just go in and get him, I don't see what all the fuss is about." Dorian piped in.

    "Do they not teach you manners in Tevinter, Sparkles? What if they're having an intimate moment? The last thing they want to see during that is your face I'm sure!" Varric chided.

    Dorian gasped dramatically, "How dare you think they wouldn't want visuals of this gorgeous face while in the throws of lustful passion. Secondly, I do have manners I just use them in civilized places, for instance where people wear shoes!"

    Fenris and Ellenwen rolled their eyes while listening to them bicker when they decided to save their conversation for another time. When they walked to the center of the camp there was a clearing with rope tied to the trees to make a ring. Surrounded by people, Gallevorn was already in the ring taking practice swings. When they reached the middle, Fenris started to make his way under the rope when Ellenwen grabbed his hand. He looked to her as she lifted his sword hand to her lips, kissing the inside of his palm sweetly.

    "Good luck." She said, giving him a wink.

    He felt his heart start to pump rapidly in his chest, giving him even more motivation. Fenris was not concerned about losing the fight, Gallevorn was a veteran to battle, but his age was against him. He drew his sword slowly from his back, getting into stance, Gallevorn was ready for him. They stood there staring at each other wondering who would make the first move, building the crowds anticipation. Ellenwen held her breath.

    With a mighty roar Gallevorn and Fenris both kick off the ground and charged at each other. Their swords clashed with such force you could hear the high pitched sting of metal echoing through the trees. Gallevorn slashed left and right as Fenris blocked each swing with ease. Fenris lifted his sword over his head, swinging straight down with all his might. Gallevorn lifted his sword to block it, but the force of Fenris' strength brought him to a knee. Gallevorn held his block to Fenris' sword when he pushed it back. Quickly he laid down and kicked both feet into Fenris' chest pushing him enough distance away to get back to his feet. 

    Fenris staggered back. Well played, must be why he protects the Keeper. A smile tugged at the corner of Fenris' lips. Okay old man, let us see what you're made of. Like a wild beast being released from its cage, Fenris ran toward Gallevorn with frightening speed. Gallevorn swung at him from his right to his left, aiming high toward Fenris' head. Fenris ducked out of the way rolling down to the right. With the momentum of Gallevorn's swing Fenris ended up behind him, elbowing him in the back of the head. While Gallevorn was stunned Fenris swept his ankle, hooking it from the front and forcing Gallevorn to fall face down into the dirt. Fenris put his knee in his back with sword against the side of his throat. That was match.