35.

We stand around a mini quantum tunnel, Steve gets geared up and ready to go, he volunteered for this.

He comes over to Bucky, Rebecca, and I, saying his goodbyes

He hugs me first. "I'm gonna miss you." I say, even though he should only be gone for a few seconds at most.

"I'll miss you too."

He hugs Bucky "Don't do anything stupid until I get back." I laugh, remembering the old line.

"How can I, you're taking all the stupid with you." Bucky responds, saying Steve's old line. "Punk." "Jerk."

Steve steps onto the platform, sceptre and briefcase in hand. "Alright, if everything goes to plan, Capsicle should be back in three seconds." Tony tells us, pressing buttons.

Steve presses his bracelet and he's gone. "1... 2... 3..." Tony presses another button and nothing happens.

He looks confused and presses it again. "Where is he?" Sam asks, obviously worried.

"I don't know. He blew right past his time stamp, he should be here." Tony answers, looking at his screens.

I turn away and stop, seeing someone sitting on the bench. I have a hunch on who it is.

Sam starts getting snippy and angry with Tony. "Sam. Bucky." I say, getting their attention. They come to stand beside me, seeing the same thing. I have a hunch Bucky also knew this was coming, he doesn't seem surprised.

Both of the boys let me go first, talking to my brother.

"Stevie?" I ask, unsure how to react to what I'm seeing. He's... old.

"Hey Y/N." he replies, his voice audibly different. 

"So, did something go wrong, or did something go right?" I inquire, having an idea about where he went. Remembering the look on his face when we saw Peggy.

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought, why not try some of that life Tony's always telling me to get." He answers, thinking back.

"How'd that work out for you?" I ask, wondering how life was, living through the 40's and 50's.

"It was beautiful," Steve replies. I have the sudden urge tear up. I never got to live out my life in the 50's. Never got to experience life beyond constant war. And I'll probably never have that chance.

"I'm happy for you, Stevie. Truly. You deserved it." I tell him sincerely. My brother has been through so much. He deserves to live a simple life.

"Thank you."

I look to the boys and motion them over, one of them can handle the shield. Sam looks to Bucky and he shakes his head, letting Sam come over.

Steve motions to the shield and I step back, letting Sam try it on. He's the right fit for it. Stevie knows that.

He picks up the shield and puts it on his arm, it looks good. "How's it feel?" Steve asks, looking Sam up and down.

"Like it's someone else's." Sam replies, bringing it down.

"It isn't." He looks up, contemplating his choice.

"Thank you. I'll do my best."  Sam says to Steve and myself, assuring me he's made the right choice.

"That's why it's yours." I reply while Steve and Sam shake hands.

I notice the ring on Steve's finger and smile. Peggy would have been so happy.

"You wanna tell me about that?" Sam asks, obviously unaware of Steve's lost love.

"No. I don't think I will."

Ahhh! It's done!! Thank you all for reading this far and I do really hope you have enjoyed it.

I will continue the series when the new show with falcon and the winter soldier comes out. Until then, this is the end my friends.

I love you 3000

❤️