3.

Tears run down my face as I hold a black umbrella above my head. I wore a dress for her today. I hate dresses, but she always loved them. I should have worn them more for her.

Tuberculosis. Mom died of tuberculosis. It could have been cured, but we had no money left, she worked for everything we had, always making sure Steve and I ate. I sit next to Steve as the preacher talks, putting my head on his shoulder and listening to him ramble about how my mother is in a better place, how everyone loved her.

If that was true, why did no one bother to help her? I don't really listen to what he's saying, I'll think of my mother the way I want to remember her.

After the funeral Steve and I leave hurriedly. I don't want the pity hugs and handshakes, to fake smile at every stranger. I want to be alone with my brother who is also now my guardian.

We get to our house and Steve goes to unlock the door, so I sit on the bench.

I see Bucky approaching from the street, he has a solemn look on his face. He walks over and kisses my head. "I'm so sorry Y/N. Sarah was an amazing woman and mother." He says giving his condolences.

I nod, I know he thinks of our family as his own, especially our mother. He leaves me and walks over to talk to Steve, I listen in.

"We looked for you, after. My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery." Bucky speaks to Steve in soft words as they walk up the steps to the front door of our house.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just kind of wanted to be alone...and with (y/n). She really needed me today."

"How was it?" Bucky asks carefully, trying to comfort his best friend.

"It was okay. She's next to dad."

"I was gonna ask-" Steve is struggling to find his house key when he cuts Bucky off.

"I know what you're gonna ask, Buck. I just-"

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you got to do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash." Bucky sees that Steve is in distress and kicks a brick aside revealing a spare key.

He hands it to his friend, "Come on."

"Thank you, Buck," Steve says, giving gratitude for the key and for Buck's offer,

"But we can get by on our own."

"The thing is, you don't have to." Bucky reaches out and puts a comforting arm on Steve's shoulder.

"I'm with you to the end of the line, pal." Upon hearing those words, I let a small smile grace my lips.

Bucky walks over to me and helps me off the bench, into the house. We'll be okay.