Chapter 27: It's Still Burned in the Back of My Mind

Recap: “So you do like him!!!” she exclaimed.

            “I don’t, I just care about him.” I corrected her calmly. “I’m with Parker.”

            “You’re with Parker Young!! You have great taste in men, Sam.” I laughed at her comment, she offered some humor to this situation, and I hope she was clear on the part where I don’t like Logan. I don’t like him like him, but I’m mad at Chloe…is that wrong?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            “Alright, alright people. Listen up!!” Aaron yelled though his microphone. The chatter in the audience faded to a soft murmur. “We have brought you here to announce a twist to the show.” The noise between the contestants increased some more, people exchanging confused looks. Logan glanced over to me, and I shrugged back at him.

            “We’ve decided to give a free pass away to America’s wild card choice.” Thomas announced. “And I know you’ll all be wondering what that is.”

            “Basically it’s a free pass to the finale to the most popular couple.” Portia added in. “After next week’s show we will find out who that couple is, and announce it at the end of the show.”

            “Alright, that seems to be it for this impromptu meeting, sorry for the chaos in getting here.” Aaron dismissed us. “Oh, and by the way, the solo artist for this week is Mr. Logan Edwards. Your task is to perform a you-tube artist’s originals. Everybody else, this week’s theme is classic duets, and that can be anywhere from modern to back in the day.”

            I started to think about what song we should perform, and was excited to hear what Logan’s song choice would be for his solo. Everyone seemed to be dismissed after Aaron’s final words. Logan gave Chloe a kiss on the cheek and then walked over to me who was flagging him down. I started walking and he jogged a little to catch up. I glanced back at Chloe, who seemed so innocent, but man, was she a liar! God, part of me wanted to storm over there and tell her off in front of everyone, but I’m a nicer person than that, and want to save her the embarrassment.

            We got back into the car to go the conference hall back at the hotel for our practice session with Mandi. The drive took a little longer than usual as the blaring horns of hundreds of vehicles filled my ears. I took my iPod out, blocking out the rest of the world, and pumped up the music. It was an acoustic song, and the words were amazing. I was moved by the ease that she was singing with. These people truly had the gift of turning every experience into a metaphorical lyrical masterpiece with killer music.

            As soon as we pulled up to the revolving door of the hotel lobby, I treaded behind Logan to the rehearsal space. We walked in and I pulled out my earbuds, the loudness of the world flooding into my head.

            “Hey guys!” Mandi greeted us, giving Logan and I both, hugs.

            “Hi!” I responded back at her, and Logan did the same. I had a few ideas for our classic duet, and I hope I could choose this week.

            “Do you guys have any ideas for your classic duet?” Mandi looked at the two of us

            “Actually. I was thinking No Air…” Logan said immediately, almost too quickly for my liking.

            “Uh, cool, sounds good.” I actually agreed with his song choice, because I like that song a lot, and haven’t heard it in a while. I’d love to put my spin on it.

            “Great! Let me pull the music for it.” Mandi turned away for a few seconds and I tapped on Logan’s shoulder, skeptical of actually telling him.

            “What’s wrong?” He asked. His face looked concerned

            “I have to tell you something…” I said, weighing my options out. Should I tell him? Or should I go to Chloe first. Ugh!!! Why does this have to be so hard? Just tell him, Sam. I thought a little more until Logan’s voice broke through.

            “What?” He seemed interested, turning his body to face me and leaned his head down since I was talking softly.

            “It’s about Chloe.” I whispered. Mandi turned back around and walked our direction. “Actually, never mind.” I raised my hand and he shrugged a little. You chicken. Now what do you plan to do?

            “Ready?” Mandi asked us, as she gave me a lyric sheet. I smiled at her and just masked my internal conflict.

            We decided to just sing this week, having the band back us up. We ran through the song with a piano and it was kind of funny to hear Logan sing Chris Brown…but he did well. I was impressed. My part came in and I kept it smooth, my eyes focused on the paper in front of me. Honestly, I was afraid of a note in the song, one towards the end. I was nervous to sing it in the original key, Jordin’s range is amazing, and I don’t think I’ll be able to reach it. Logan’s voice came in again at the chorus, and we were alternating, and it sounded really cool. I felt the note coming and when I was about to open my mouth, I heard something come out, and let’s just say…it wasn’t pretty. I missed that note by a long shot, and Logan smirked a little, underneath his singing. I glared at him and he held his hands up. I looked down at the paper again, just hating myself for missing that note.

            We finished the song and then Mandi looked at me.

            “Sam, sweetie, I know that’s going to be a hard note to hit, but if you do the other octave, there won’t be as much of a wow effect! I know you can do it.” She touched my shoulder, and reassured me that everything would be ok.

            “Alright. I’ll practice it.” I smiled reluctantly at her, and looked to Logan.

            “I’ll help her.” Logan told Mandi. The corners of his mouth turned up and I smacked him on the arm. He let out air through his nose and shook his head. “She’ll need all the help she can get.”

            “Hey!” I said offended.

            “It’s true!” He defended himself. I mocked him sarcastically.

            “Whatever.” I rolled my eyes, and just looked back towards the piano. To my surprise Mandi looked at the two of us, and just smiled.

            “You guys are too funny sometimes, you know?” She shook her head and then walked out of the room.

            “Ok…we can work on this later, ok?” I collected my things and swung my purse on my shoulder.

            “Yeah…sure…” Logan replied, and I walked towards the door. I saw him shifting over to the piano and he started laying down some beautiful chords. I smiled, and stood outside the conference room. I peeked back in, and he had a pencil in his mouth, phone on the piano, and a few sheets of manuscript paper. He was humming this song, and it was really great.

            “You know no one likes a spy, right?” I heard a familiar voice approach me. I jumped a little as I faced the person standing in front of me.