Chapter 10: Me and You?

Recap:  I exited out of his text log and finished getting dressed. I just realized that is the first time he has actually called me by my name. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, my black curls reached my mid-back. I checked the time, 9:00, and now I would just have to wait until lunch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 finally reached and I headed down to the parking garage to my car. The Nile Diner was about 20 minutes from my house so it wasn’t too bad of a drive. I was jamming out to some Evanescence when I finally pulled into the parking lot of the local diner. I sat in my car for another 7 minutes or so and then got out.

    I walked into the front door of the establishment to be greeted by a familiar voice.

    “Sammy! How are you! My, my, you have grown! I haven‘t seen you in ages. Are you here for a hot date? And how‘s that mother of yours doin’ ” one of the restaurant owners, Annie said to me with a large bright smile. I back smiled at her contagious smile.
    “Hi Ms. Annie, it’s nice to see you too! I haven’t been here in almost a half a year, huh. My mom recently passed away so…yeah…” I started and she gave me a very pitiful look. “And I’m not here on a date, but I am meeting someone here.”
    “Wow, honey, I’m really sorry to hear that, give your family my condolences, you guys were always regulars here. Let’s hope that young man doesn’t keep a pretty girl like you waiting.” I laughed at her happy-go-lucky personality and how she could make the worst of situations into something completely better.

    “Sam?” I heard a voice call from a distance. I turned around to be greeted by Noah with an apron tied around his waist.
    “You work here?” I asked rhetorically.
    “Yup! But now my shift’s over so we can sit down and grab a bite to eat.” he smiled as he untied his white apron. “I’m done for today mom!” he yelled to Annie. Annie had a son? “I’m going to be chilling out with Sam for the rest of the day, ok?” he said pointing towards me. Ms. Annie gave me a huge smile and hurried over to clear out a special table for us.

We sat at a two person table by a window, Noah across from me. We ordered our meals and they came within the next couple of minutes.

    “I didn’t know Ms. Annie had a son!” I exclaimed. He chuckled a little.
    “Yeah, and I didn’t know you knew my mom so well.” His eyes brightened up.
    “Yup! We are regulars.”
    “Then how come I never see you?” he questioned.
    “We usually come on the weekends for breakfast.” I answered, wondering why I never saw him before.
    “Oh, I work weekdays in the morning, that’s why.” he smiled. “Soo, what’s up, Sam?”
    “Um, nothing much, I’ve been writing songs and chilling because it’s summer, not too much to do, you know.” I said as I exhaled a deep breath of air.
    “Ah, cool, cool. I just got hired to coordinate a new teen singing show that will be filmed in Hollywood.” he said coolly.
    “That’s amazing, Noah! So is it something similar to American Idol or X Factor?”
    “Kinda, it’s a duet competition where a guy and a girl team up and sing covers of songs every round. The finale consists of an original song that they have to write together.”
    “Nice, are there auditions that are taking place?”   
    “Yeah, there is one in Miami, one in Denver, Colorado, Houston, Texas, New York, New York, and Los Angeles, California.” he started listing off. “And, the grand prize is 1 million dollars and a recording contract for the two winners!” he continued excitedly. One million dollars…and even if it is spilt between the two contestants, that’s a whole lot of money. We could pay off those medical bills faster and my dad wouldn’t have to be so worried and stressed about it for years and years to come. I knew I had to do this for him.
    “Awesome! One million dollars is a lot of money…Do you think I should try out?”
    “Yeah, you should definitely audition Sam, you’re great.” he smiled at me.
    “I would, but I have one huge problem…I don’t have a duet partner.” I said as I started going through people I knew in my head. Evan? Maybe…but he wasn’t confident enough without his guitar strapped to him.
    “Hey, I have an idea! My cousin is a great singer and I think he wanted to audition too. You guys would be perfect for each other! He just turned 19 so he‘s still in the age bracket.” he offered.
    “That would be great! Are you sure he would want to work with me?” I asked .
    “Yeah, he’ll be happy about it and I’m sure you two will get along. We can set up a meeting at my mom’s house.” he said pulling out his phone to look at a calendar. “The Miami audition is in two weeks so how about you come by tomorrow? I can text you the address.”
    “Wow! Thanks so much Noah, that’s awesome, seriously.” I said excitedly, standing and giving him a huge hug. An elderly couple from a nearby table looked at us like we were crazy.
    “No problem Sammy, how about we get out of here and meet up with some of my friends. It’ll be fun.” he replied breaking our embrace.
    “Alright, sounds good.” I smiled at him.

    We went to a local park and I got to meet Noah’s friends, who strangely enough are just like him. We played a game of ultimate Frisbee and then drenched each other with some water balloons that one of Noah’s friend, Mike, brought. After being soaking wet I said bye to Noah, and got into my car. I left the ac off the entire drive back home. As I walked to the elevator and past Richie I left a trail of water droplets leading to the apartment.

    When I got inside, I took out my phone again, and looked under Logan’s text log.

Logan: Sam, I just need your help, ok?

I decided I would text him back since he obviously needed my help

Me: Ok, what do you need?
Logan: I need a duet partner and I know you are a good singer.

    I smiled at his compliment and need for someone who I thought he may hate. I actually felt a little bad because I had already said yes to someone I’ve never met and I knew that Logan could sing amazingly. I dreaded sending him back a response and the guilt arose in me a little.

Me: I’m really sorry, but I promised a friend that I would sing with his cousin. I’m seriously sorry though.

    I waited for his reply to what I had to tell him, but hours passed and he still didn’t send a text back to me. I literally refreshed my texts about a hundred times that night and no new message appeared from him. I really hope he doesn’t completely hate me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this one is a bit short but I'll update in about 2 days :)  And Pic of Noah on the side