THE BAD BOY AND THE CHEERLEADER - CHAPTER 40

CHAPTER 40:

GIANNA’S POV:

It’s Saturday night and I’m up on the platform dancing at the club. Trying to block out the rest of the world. Or at least everyone who’s on the dance floor and bar below. It’s amazing how all of your problems can come crashing down on you at the same time. Or maybe more accurately, they can all show up at your place of work at the same time.

Okay, I’m being dramatic. A few problems aren’t here right now. My controlling mother, my psychotic ex-boyfriend Josh and my newest ex-boyfriend, Seth.

Seth took the break-up harder than I’d thought he would. After spending Saturday night and Sunday morning with Caleb, I knew that it was wrong of me to lead Seth on any longer. Even though my heart was never in the relationship, technically, I cheated on Seth.

I saw the break-up as setting him free to be with someone who deserves him. Unfortunately, Seth saw the break-up as losing the only girl that he wants. His watery eyes and pleading made me feel uncomfortable. I already felt bad enough about skanking out with Caleb behind his back.

When I broke up with Josh, it was so easy. He’d acted like a creeper, so I didn’t have to be considerate at all when I dumped him. With Seth, though, I hugged him, asked him if we could still be friends. When he said ‘Yes’, I was surprised by how relieved I was. I genuinely like Seth. He’s a good person. Too bad I can’t love the nice guy. Instead, I’m cursed to love the baddest of bad boys.

Although, I think Ian gives Caleb a run for his money in the bad boy player department.

Josh is still giving me stalker eyes every day at school. The guy seriously needs a shrink and some meds in his life. I’m sure my mom could lend him both.

Ugh! My mom is driving me crazy. Always asking me if I’ve talked to Caleb. Demanding that I stay away from him. I had to have her permission to take this job dancing at the club. When she tried to go all motherly on me and deny me, I just threw Caleb in her face. Imagine, my mom thinks that dancing at a nightclub is the lesser of two evils. I’m almost tempted to find a bigger delinquent than Caleb and bring him home to mom. See how she likes a guy with more piercings and tattoos than Caleb has. And a longer rap sheet.

Caleb. Well, Caleb is still being Caleb. Confusing the hell out of me and all the while making me crave him.

Last weekend was unexpected, but maybe subconsciously inevitable. He swears that there hasn’t been any girls since me and that there won’t be as long as I give him his one day a week. The feminist buried deep down inside somewhere wants to smack him for that one.

The DJ changes songs and I change my style of dancing. The pop song that was previously playing was alright, but the R&B song playing now is one of my favorites. I’m able to lose myself in the music throughout the song.

I hear someone shouting at me, trying to be heard over the music. I look down and see a guy that I don’t know. It’s so tacky when guys try to hit on a club’s dancers. I do what I’ve been instructed by the manager to do. I smile at him, blow him off and continue dancing.

The reason that I took a job at this club and not another is because the owners don’t expect us dancers to dress like hookers. Tonight we’re wearing black motorcycle boots, white shorts and black tank tops with the club logo on the front. Could be worse. As long as I’m decently covered and I can move in the outfit, it doesn’t matter to me.

The next song is the dance version of a Katy Perry song that reminds me of Caleb. Just what I need. Another reminder of my not boyfriend, but not quite ex-boyfriend. I’d say that I’ve been avoiding him all week, but really I haven’t. Caleb doesn’t come near me at school, call me after school or show up at my house. I get no opportunity to avoid him like he deserves. It sucks.

What is wrong with the boy? What’s his deal? He doesn’t want to be together, only wants to see me once a week and doesn’t want to be with anyone else. Makes no sense. Here he has a girl who is crazy about him, loves him and is only asking for his love in return. But no, what he wants is some half-ass relationship.

I’ve been thinking about it all week and I don’t think that I have it in me to give him what he wants. It’s just plain pathetic.

So, maybe I found a rose under my windshield wiper on Tuesday and the newest zombie movie on blue-ray in my locker on Friday. These little gifts during the week don’t earn him my time on the weekend. So, maybe I was pathetic enough that they brought a smile to my face. It doesn’t mean that I’m pathetic enough to let him wrap me around his little player pinkie.

Accompanying the rose was a note that said, “Can’t wait till Saturday.”

Along with the movie was a post-it that said, “An option for Saturday night.”

The fact that he was in the stands at the football game last night, watching me cheer, doesn’t mean anything either.

Laying in bed at night, I think about him. The boy is seriously making me lose sleep. Everyone thinks I’m so damn beautiful and the loss of beauty sleep doesn’t bother me, but being tired at school does. With all this thinking, I have to wonder Caleb’s motives.

He doesn’t love me, but he can’t let me go.

He doesn’t want me as a full-time girlfriend, but he has to see me once a week.

In my most hopeful moments, I make myself believe that he does love me, but is too afraid to tell me. That the reason that he isn’t dating other girls is because he doesn’t want anyone but me. Maybe a player just needs time to adjust to falling in love. Maybe he does love me, but doesn’t realize it.

If that were the case, I could wait for him to comes to his senses. Wait for those three little words.

My new confidant Ian thinks differently. So, yeah, my new best friend is Caleb’s worst enemy. Did I plan it that way? No. Am I enjoying how much it annoys Caleb? Maybe. Okay, yeah. I am. A hella lot.

Ian is actually a lot of fun to hang out with. Hanging out with him reminds me of the early days with Caleb, before we entered relationship-mode. Just a bad boy trying to show me a good time. Thinking of Ian and Caleb makes me laugh. They are so much alike in so many ways. Anytime I go anywhere with Ian, we run into past girlfriends. So like Caleb.

In some ways Caleb and Ian are way different. As where Caleb is the free spirit, fun-loving type of player, Ian is the exact opposite. When Ian cares about someone, he would do anything for them. But, he’s often cold toward all others. Makes me glad that I don’t fall into the 'others' category. I sense a cruelness in Ian that I hope is never turned in my direction.

The first Saturday after Caleb and I broke up, I didn’t go to ballet class that morning, but I did drive down into Denver. I skipped practice with the crew and the competition we had that night. After receiving texts and voicemails from them all night and through the next day, I finally texted Jared and Cece. I told them that I needed time. I haven't gone back to ballet or the crew since.

That same Saturday night, I came to this club, applied for the dancing position, was auditioned the next day and here I am. I feel guilty about letting down the crew, but in my misery after the break-up, I just didn’t feel like I could be around them. It’s in no way their fault. In fact, they did warn me to be careful about Caleb. Stupidly, I didn’t listen. I’ll go back to them when I’m ready. When I get my head on straight again. If they still want me.

So, like I was saying, maybe not all my problems are here tonight, but half of them are.

Caleb.

Ian.

The crew.

Caleb basically said that I have no choice, that I’m going to be hanging out with him every Saturday after work. Let him come closer to my platform and a kick in the face with my boots will show him just how much choice I have.

So maybe every part of my being is missing him like crazy and craving his attention. Doesn’t mean that I have to make it easy for him. Come running like a dog with my leash in my mouth. The fact that I brought with me the zombie movie doesn’t mean anything.

Ian came with me here tonight and I saw Caleb walk in about an hour ago. Looking sexy as hell and getting hit on by anything wearing a bra, or not wearing one like the slutiest of them. I’d like to kick some of them in the face too. Caleb hasn’t come near me, but I can see him talking with some girl at the bar. I’d be jealous, but she really isn’t very cute.

When he follows her onto the dance floor, it’s another story. One motorcycle boot to the face coming up. Make that two.

While I’m glaring in the direction of Caleb and that so-not-cute girl dancing, I don’t notice that Ian is standing directly below me. A light brush against my calf lets me know of his presence.

Right before I glance down at him, I see Caleb scowling in our direction. Ian gets my warmest smile. Ian taps his watch to let me know that my break is coming up.

During my break, one of my other problems will be performing. I knew that there was a chance that my crew would show up at this particular club eventually.

I’m not looking forward to facing them. I saw them slipping into the club earlier and immediately being ushered by the entertainment manger into the back rooms. They’re probably back there changing, warming up and doing a last minute pep talk.

The track ends less than a minute later and I grip Ian’s shoulder to jump down onto the floor. I grab my bottle of water off the platform and chug down what’s left of it. The other two dancers are also taking their break now since the entertainment is about to start.

The lights dim and new music begins. I allow Ian to grab my hand and pull me closer to where the crew will perform near the stairs leading up to the DJ booth. Over the first beats of the music, the DJ announces them and then spotlights turns on to shine on them.

As I watch their performance, I feel an ache in my chest. They look great and have come up with some new stuff. I get a small sense of satisfaction from the fact that I haven’t been replaced, leaving Cece as the only girl in the routine.

Seeing them dance, I realize how much I’ve missed them. How wrong I was to unfairly push them out of my life when Caleb hurt me. I guess I was just taking it out on my friends at a time when the cause of my pain wasn’t around to lash out at.

Ian is standing on my left when someone shouts in my right ear, “You’re going back to them aren’t you?”

I turn my head to the side and come face to face with Caleb. Our lips are less than an inch apart. I shout back at him, “How do you know?”

He leans into me again, “Cause I know you, Gianna. I can see it on your face.”

I give him a dirty look, “What do you want, Caleb?”

He shrugs, “Just killing time until our date.”

“I’m hanging out with Ian tonight,” I tell him smugly. Let’s see how much he wants that ‘date’ now.

He glances past me at Ian, “Do we have to?”

I just give him an evil grin.

He stalks off, obviously not happy.

My grin becomes more genuine.

I watch as Caleb disappears in the crowd and turn my attention back to the performance. When they end, I grab Ian’s hand and take him to be introduced to my friends. Ian was either oblivious to Caleb’s presence or he just chose not to acknowledge him. Tonight should be interesting.

As I walk up to Cece first, she squeals and pulls me into a hug. Practically squeezing me to death. “Gianna, where the heck have you been?”

God, I feel so ashamed. I was a coward. “Just going through things. I’m better now.”

She looks sympathetic, “Yeah, I know. Dante told me about your and Caleb’s break-up. Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I tell her, not wanting to go through it all right now.

“Hey! You should come to our house tonight! Jared and I are having everyone over tonight,” Cece is practically bouncing up and down at the idea. Okay, she literally is bouncing up and down. Then she notices Ian, “Who’s he?”

I smile at Ian, “This is my friend Ian. Ian, this is Cece.”

Ian gives her a polite wave and Cece says, “Hi.”

Cece bounces again, “He can come too.”

“I have to go back to work, but I’ll definitely be there later tonight,” I inform her, feeling much better now that I plan to reconnect with my closest friends.

“Work?” Cece seems confused.

I point at the logo on my chest, “I work here. Dancing.”

Her eyes go wide, “Oh!”

I notice the other dancers taking their places and reach out to squeeze her hand, “See you later?”

She smiles, “Yeah.”

The DJ already has a new song playing. Taking my place back on the platform, losing myself in the music comes easier.

*************************

HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT

NEXT CHAPTER WILL HAVE MORE DIALOGUE AND STORY DEVELOPMENT

JUST WANTED TO DO A CHAPTER THAT GETS INTO GIANNA'S HEAD

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT AND VOTE.