THE BAD BOY AND THE CHEERLEADER - CHAPTER 45

CHAPTER 45: 

CALEB’S  POV: 

“I should have hit him in the head with that chair,” Ian muses for the hundredth time.  Perhaps the thousandth. 

“Shut the hell up,” I mumble, keeping my forearm over my eyes as I lay on the bunk.  I may have to share a cell with him, but that doesn’t mean I have to look at his ugly mug. 

“How many ribs do you think I broke, C?” Ian asks, pretending to be oblivious to my need for solitude.  As impossible as that is in this tiny space.  I feel the bed shift and hear the creaking of the springs as he settles onto the top bunk.

“Do not nickname me.  We are so not on a nickname basis,” I ground out between clenched teeth.  Somehow I’ve gone to hell.  Did I miss the part where I died?  Who decided it would be a good idea to throw us in a cell together?  Last night, Ian and I both took turns beating the crap out of Josh.  What makes the cops think that we won’t turn on each other?  I’ve imagined punching Ian in the face many times since we got here.  Knowing us though, once we got started, we wouldn’t stop fighting until we get out of here, or they separated us.  If we actually ever get out of here. 

After the paramedics took Gianna and Josh to the hospital, the cops took me and Ian to the police station.  They grilled us separately for hours, making us tell our story over and over, probably making sure we didn’t change the events that happened.  My dad showed up with a lawyer, the same one that my parents have used for me before.  Only a lawyer showed up for Ian.  Kinda makes you feel bad for the guy, just a little.  I mean, damn

Before they were even done interrogating us, I asked my dad to run down to the hospital and check on Gianna.  I also bitched to the cops until they finally let me know that Josh had in fact been handcuffed to his bed at the hospital.  I guess once they realized that he was the one to brutalize her, they also realized that it wouldn’t be such a great idea to have him free in the same hospital as her. 

My dad wasn’t back from the hospital by the time they moved us from the police station to the holding facility for juveniles.  They’re supposed to release us into our parents custody once our parents show up.  For Ian that may be awhile, since he’s pretty sure his dad is out of the country.

I’m not so worried about my dad showing up.  My mom would already be here, but she was in Phoenix again for an art show.  If my dad hasn’t shown up yet, it’s for a good reason.  I just pray that he comes here with good news about Gianna. 

I should probably be grateful that Ian hasn’t shut his trap.  Otherwise I’d probably be going crazy.  I feel already as if I’m on the edge.  I’m not satisfied with the beating that Josh got.  The things he did to her . . .

Well, some broken ribs and a busted up face doesn’t even begin to cover what he deserves.  He deserves to go to hell.  Forget prison, straight to hell should be his destination. 

I’m also trying not to freak out about the fact that I’m not with Gianna right now.  Sure, her mom is down at the hospital and if her dad is any kind of father at all, he’s probably on a plane right now from Houston.   But she needs me.  And I need her.

I heard the paramedics listing off her injuries, so I know none of them were life threatening, but she must me in severe pain.  And not just physically.  I don’t have any experience dealing with anyone who’s been sexually assaulted, but I can imagine the kind of comfort and patience she needs. 

If I ever get the hell out of here. 

“Caleb Morrison,” a deep voice says from outside the cell.  Automatically, I sit up, banging my head against the top bunk. 

“Yeah?”

“Your dad’s here to get you,” the guard says while unlocking the bars. 

“Thank God,” I let out on a breath.

I’m outta that cell before the guard has a chance to open it all the way.  The guard closes it behind me with a clank and I spin around to give Ian a look of pity.  “Sorry, man.”

He just shrugs from where he’s lounging on the top bunk, “No worries.  I’m sure my dad will show up sometime this week.”

Feeling uncomfortable, I give him a quick “Later,” and follow the guard down the corridor.  As soon as I see my dad, I’m asking questions.  “How is she?  Has she asked for me?  Is she awake?”

My dad looks anxious and isn’t looking me in the eye, “Caleb, we’ll discuss this when we get home.”

“I’m not going home!  I’m going to the hospital!” I practically yell at him. 

He stops me in the parking lot with a hand on my shoulder, “Julie has given instructions that you aren’t allowed in Gianna’s room.”

“That’s bullshit!” I yell and start walking to my dad’s car.  “Take me to pick up my car at the school and I’ll drive myself there.”

My dad settles behind the wheel, he lets out a sigh, “Fine, I’ll take you to the hospital, but don’t expect to get into her room. Her dad, Chris, is already there and Julie has given him an earful.”

As we start to drive, my dad fills me in on Gianna’s situation.  Casts on both wrists, jaw wired shut and stitches down below.  It’s almost too much to bear.  When I turn my head to look out the window while I cry, my dad respects my privacy and gives me quiet time to digest all that. 

Once we’ve found a spot in the parking garage, I jump out of the car.  I feel impatient as my dad gets out and circles around the car.  “Caleb, she may not even be awake yet.  They still had her sedated earlier this morning.”

“It’s been over twelve freaking hours since it happened and she’s probably wondering where the hell I am!” I shout at him, trying to take my pain and frustration out on someone. 

My dad pulls me in for a hug, which is just weird, but somehow soothing in a small way.  Nothing can really make me feel better at this point.  “How bad was it, dad?”

My dad lets out a choking sound and I realize how hard this is on him too.  I may love Gianna, but so does he.  As where I just met her two months ago, my dad has been her stepfather for the past three years.  When he pulls back out of the hug, there are tears  in his eyes, “They stitched her up, and there’s swelling and bruising, but they think she’ll heal completely.”  He lets out a sob, then swallows visibly, getting back under control, “They think she’ll still be able to have children.  He only used the flashlight on her, so at least we don’t have to worry about pregnancy.  Sick bastard.”  My dad stops there and wipes at his eyes. 

Looking over his shoulder, a coldness creeps into my body, “And Josh?”

“I wish I could say he died from his injuries,” my dad mutters.  “He’s got a broken nose, busted up face and three broken ribs.”  When he hesitates, I look at his face again and see his wry smile, “You and that other kid really worked him over.”

I look over his shoulder again, “Which room is he in?”

“Caleb,” my dad says sternly.

I give my dad a fake smile, “To send him flowers, of course.”

He just shakes his head and laughs, “He’s not here anymore.”

“Prison hospital?” I ask hopefully. 

“Uh, no. Gianna’s dad, Chris, took a midnight flight here and after getting briefed by the police, he asked the same thing you just did.”  My dad gives me a pointed look, “Josh’s room number.  Cops and hospital staff thought it best that Josh be moved to another hospital for both his sake and Gianna and her family’s.”

“I’m going to kill him,” I say in all seriousness.

My dad looks stressed by that statement so I try to reassure him, “Don’t worry, I won’t get caught.”

He shakes his head again, “You’re in enough trouble.  Assaulting Josh while you’re already on probation for assault was the brightest idea.”

“I think it was an excellent idea,” I mumble stubbornly.  I still have a taste for more of Josh’s blood.  I busted up that pretty face of his and Ian broke some ribs, but he has a lot more coming to him.  Twisted creep.

We start walking through the hospital parking garage to glass doors with an elevator behind them.  “One more thing, Caleb.”  I can tell this isn’t going to be good.  “The cops started questioning the cheerleaders and football players today.”

“And?”

“I guess Josh had one of the cheerleaders pass a note to Gianna,” he hesitates, then continues, “From you.  To meet in the cafeteria after the game.”

“Fuuuuck!” I scream.  Scaring the crap out of an elderly couple coming off the elevator. 

My dad says, “Sorry,” but they get out of the small room faster than people their age should be able to move.

We get in the elevator and my dad pushes the button for the sixth floor.  My stomach is all tied in knots.  I need to be able to see her.  I’m hoping Julie isn’t here now.  I might be able to get past her dad.  Fifth floor, sixth floor, the elevator opens.  “Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“What am I going to be dealing with when it comes to Chris?”  I ask, hoping to hear that he wants to give me a pat on the back for beating the shit out of Josh. 

“Well,” my dad begins, obviously thinking over how to answer, “When Julie first called him last night, she was convinced that you were the one to hurt Gianna.”

“I hate her,” I say vehemently.  As if I would ever hurt her daughter.

My dad looks like he’s not even going to address that comment, “But, by the time Chris got here and the cops filled him in, he was just grateful that you and Ian found Gianna so quickly and that she wasn’t there all night.”

The thought of that . . .

We walk past the nurse’s triage desk and my dad stops in front of room 626.  Unfortunately, I can already hear Julie’s grating voice.  My dad walks in ahead of me and I’m close on his heels.  The room isn’t large, with Julie sitting in one chair against the window and a man sitting in another chair, with Chance sitting on his lap, sleeping.  This must be Gianna’s dad. 

Julie doesn’t see me right away, looking at my dad first, but when she does see me, she jumps out of her chair pointing a finger at me.  “I don’t want you in here!”

I ignore her and stare at the figure in the hospital bed.  She’s lying on her back in a hospital gown, with the sheets pulled up to under her armpits.  Both wrists are in casts and her face is swollen.  From what my dad told me in the car, the fracture in her jaw wasn’t as bad as it could have been, so it should heal in about six weeks.  The wires the doctors used will prevent Gianna from eating solid foods and she won’t be able to talk much, but once she’s healed, she’ll be back to normal. At least physically. 

Her eyes are closed.   She’s either asleep or sedated.  I hope she’s not having bad dreams. 

I look at Julie, whose face is turning red.  Amazing how such a beautiful woman can have such an ugly personality.  “Didn’t you hear me?  You’re not welcome here!  This is all your fault!”

Gianna’s dad stands up and settles a sleeping Chance into the armchair.  “Take this outside Julie.  Gianna’s been through enough.”

Reluctantly agreeing with him, I spin on my heel and leave the hospital room.  My dad is right behind me, but I can also hear the click of Julie’s heels.  In the hallway, I spin around again, crossing my arms over my chest in a defensive position, but ready to put on the offense at the first provocation. 

“Take your son home, Scott,” Julie tells my dad, not even bothering to talk to me. 

“I’m here to be with Gianna,” I say stubbornly.  “You don’t own the hospital, Julie.” 

Chris comes out of the room and leans against the doorframe.  He’s younger than I expected, younger than my dad, but sometimes I forget that Chris and Julie had Gianna while they were still in high school.  Around me and Gianna’s age, actually.  The fact that he managed to get through college to become a plastic surgeon is amazing.  Chris is wearing a neutral expression, so I can’t tell where he stands in this little drama. 

“But, I am her mother and I say who can and can’t come into her hospital room.  And you can’t.”  She glances at Chris, “Her dad will back me up on this.”

Chris loses the stoicism and gives me an apologetic look, “I think it’s for the best for now.  She doesn’t need the added stress.”

I can understand that, but I don’t have to like it. I take a seat in one of the connected plastic and metal chairs, “Fine, then I’ll wait here until it’s okay for me to see her.”  Julie huffs and makes to go back into the room, so I call out behind her, “But, you may want to take some of the blame yourself, Julie, since Gianna would have never been in that cafeteria if you hadn’t forced us to sneak around behind your back!”

She practically slams the door behind herself. 

Chris’s eyes are wide and I can tell by the look on his face that he’s not too happy with Julie.  He mutters something about going to the cafeteria to get something for Chance when he wakes up, then he’s gone. 

My dad waits with me all day, running downstairs to get us magazines and food.  I feel like crap, having not showered or changed my clothes since yesterday.  Finally, once it gets dark, my dad is able to talk me into going home to clean up.  Two hours later, I’ve showered, packed a bag, picked up my car at the school parking lot and am back at the hospital. 

When I get back to room 626, the door is halfway open and I peek inside.  Julie must have took Chance home after I left, because it’s just Gianna’s dad here, sleeping in the same chair that Chance did earlier.  The lights are off in the room, but the bathroom light is on, giving off a soft glow. 

I set my bag down right inside the doorway and edge closer to the bed.  Gianna is turned onto her side now, but when I get just a couple feet away, I see that her eyes are open.  I let out an involuntary gasp and quickly crouch down on the floor beside the bed so that we’re face to face. 

“Baby,” I whisper. 

She averts her eyes down, but I see tears start to trickle out.  “Shh,” I awkwardly try to soothe her.  The tears start falling faster, along with my own.  I gently wipe away hers first.

“Please look at me, Gianna,” I whisper. 

After a few moments she opens her eyes and the pain that I see in them makes me want to scream and rage.  I swallow and kiss her on the forehead.  Looking her in the eyes again, I say, “You know I love you, right?”

She gives a little nod, but quickly averts her eyes again.  I touch her gently on the head, “I’m so sorry this happened, but I’ll do whatever it takes to help you through it.  We’ll get through it together.”

She doesn’t move  or open her eyes and when the nurse comes in to give her more painkillers, I tell the nurse that I’m her cousin.  Her dad wakes up while the nurse is there and just gives me a look, letting me know that while he isn’t happy with my methods, he won’t kick me out.  I pull up a chair next to Gianna’s bed and settle myself in for the night. 

After administering the drugs, the nurse leaves and Gianna is soon asleep again.  I’m just grateful for the time I’ll get near her until Julie shows up in the morning, because I need comforting too.  While nothing can make me feel better right now, being near her is a start. 

***********************************************

PLAYLIST FOR THIS STORY:  

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/21705271563  

VOTE AND COMMENT!