We Stay Ourselves

"Adrian is quite correct Lori. Danny. If you want to leave this situation behind, and all the other situations that you keep being placed in by being around us, say the word. I'll buy you a resort in Maui or wherever, and set you up with new lives, new identities. Maybe not Maui since that place is probably going to flood, but you get the idea. Everything you need, wherever you want." Helen assured Danny and Lori.

"Would you erase everything we know?" Lori asked, not happy at that idea.

Jessica took that one "Yes. We talked about that when we did the big reveal. You would be far safer if you did not remember us."

A glance between Danny and Lori, and I knew their answer before Lori said it. "Then absolutely no. Nope. Not going to happen, my lovely Vamperinos. We stay ourselves. Part of being us is knowing you as you really are. Besides all that, we don't want to leave you. It's scary, but at least this time we are up against humans. Not potentially rapist-Sirens".

"I am really glad the Sirens that abducted us had other things to do that day." I said.

"See: You get your teeth knocked out and all that shit. Then you say that. You'd think it is better to get a hammer to the face than for me to be raped...." Lori said.

"Well... sure..." I said, not getting her point.

"...So you show loyalty and trust to us. We are your friends. We cannot run away because the going is getting hot for you." Lori finished.

Danny jumped in, agreeing with Lori "These HPA dudes are humans. Maybe we can help this time."

I looked over at Jessica and Helen. Jessica wore a knowing smile. I think she knew that Danny and Lori would not take the deal. Helen seemed slightly less happy. She probably would prefer a clear field for fighting. She did not let that show with her next remark.

"The offer is always open. You do not have to decide until you decide." Helen told them.

Lori smiled at Helen, who could not help but smile back. There is always some unresolved sexual tension between those two. "It's really generous Helen, and I appreciate it. We both do. You know what? I want to be here when Jessica has the baby. Be here when you do, whenever that might be. You all are more family than my blood family to me. I am not going anywhere, and neither is the big goof. We discussed it because we are talking about when we might want to have some kids too. That can wait for a while. No matter what, I want my kids growing up here, in this family, my family, the one I chose, even if a lot of you have fangs."

Helen switched from being slightly irritated to moved. "That does sound very nice. I hope we can make that all happen. I guess in the worst-case scenario, we can all move to a high water part of Maui."

It's always interesting to me when something gets under Helen's walls of defense. Lori tossed aside Helen's reservations aside like they are tissue paper. Being pregnant changed Helen. Losing the child to violence changed her far more. I wonder if this is a glimpse at the pre-Vampire Helen from all those centuries ago, or if this is something new.

Danny asked my Mom "So, Sally: Do you think you really will be able to bring over whoever you want at some point? Adrian and I talked about that earlier, and he said he is not sure that is a great idea."

Helen jumped on that. "Regrets Adrian? Sorry you are a Vampire?"

"No, Helen. Not in the slightest. I get to be with Jessica. A small price to pay." I shot back

"Touché" Helen agreed. One of our shortest battles.

"You say the sweetest things." Jessica said, rubbing my leg and slightly higher under the table.