KKK, but for Vampires

Smith leaned back slightly and sipped the tea. She looked surprised and then sipped again. Blue Mist tea often gets that reaction. It is Rachel's favorite. Smith made no comment. Instead, she continued her previous line of explanation. "There are many groups, associated with each other in a sort of federation all across the globe. Similar goals. A similar awareness of humanities... supposed nemesis. The biggest group here in the States is called the Human Purity Alliance. More or less a modern version of the KKK. They concern themselves not only with human offshoots like Vampires and Sirens but adhere to the notion that skin color and hair texture are external indicators of internal qualities."

"In other words, they are bigots. I assume pale skin is the 'color' of preference." Helen supplied. The last, while phrased as a semi-question a statement. Many bigots come in that particular shade. Now not the time to quibble if they should be called 'Pinks' or 'Peaches'.

Smith shook 'yes'. "They are white supremacists as well as human supremacists. If you are not in their narrow range of acceptable characteristics then they believe you are inferior. Vampires, being predators upon humans, really bother them of course. They are at the top of the list of people they hate. They would gladly work with someone of color to take down a Siren. Work with a Siren to take down a Vampire. Etc. I assume that once they are done killing off people for external differences, they will find less tangible things to kill over. Having a grandparent from Ireland perhaps, or going to a Methodist church."

Smith leaned forward to underline her next statement. "Once a month or so, Vampire females prey upon the human males, taking what they want from them both in blood and often in participation in sex. Humans lose control around a particularly nice smelling Vampire, and the next day they are a pint lower and bruised in interesting places that they do not remember how they got most of the time. A combination of your hypnotic drugs and the fact that no matter how gentle she is in the sex act, the human male she is with is far more... Delicate?"

I looked over at Jones. A slight spike in heart rate, and other telltales. He knew of which Smith spoke.

"Did she let you remember it?" I asked him, offhandedly

"Yes. That or the hypnotics are less than fully effective on me." He replied. He did not grin at the memory. Not on the outside.

Smith looked at me, evaluating. She said nothing about the fact that I figured that out without obvious clues.

Helen looked in alarm at Jones. "Not the being bitten part, surely??"

"No, ma'am. Not that. I do not remember being bitten. Just... Everything else that occurred that evening. To be more accurate, I do not think that there are any major missing moments because the evening has no time gaps to speak of." Jones replied, with respect in his voice. He knows who Helen is. Knows how old she is. Knew all of us in this room together are not her match. Jones assumed Morgan is human in that estimate. Hopefully.

Morgan looked thoughtful. "I assume that most of the men in the department situated themselves in locations known to you to as places Vampiresses congregate for their hunting. Men being men and all."

Ouch, Morgan! I looked at her to see if that was aimed at me, but it did not seem to be.

Smith gave a tight smile "I would not use the word 'most'. If and when it occurs, it is reported on in detail and to three levels of management with full hypnotic regressions to try and get to all details."

Morgan raised an eyebrow "So there is a 'Master's and Johnson'-like study of the love lives of Vampires occurring."

If Smith found the comparison amusing, she did not show it. "Essentially. That is not all the data is used for. Vampires are a very secretive species, as you know. This way of gathering data is one of the few avenues we have into the Vampire mind. You learn a lot about someone when you are having sex with them."