We Are the World

"Dude... I don't know. Lori and I are talking about whether we are going to go or stay. I don't know what to do."

Danny and I are working out in the private gym we added on to his little house out behind mine. It is a pretty big room, full of the very best in professional-grade equipment. I can't really work out in a public gym anymore. It would not do to see a guy that looks like me benching eight hundred pounds. It would be funny to see the expressions if Helen walked in and benched two thousand or so. Funny right up till we had to kill or Juice them I guess.

I enjoy the exercise time with Danny, and it seems to help me be a little bit stronger and faster than I otherwise would be. The main thing for me is to never compete with Danny or make him feel bad about our asymmetry.

Danny stood next to me watching as I worked out on the upgraded universal gym, pulling several hundred pounds on each cable in a broad chest and shoulder exercising arcs.

I stopped and fiddled with one of my weight gloves "Danny: Look. I know you think you should stay here. Be loyal. Help out all you can. You should probably go. You'd be a lot safer."

"Lori doesn't want to go. She thinks we should stay and help. I do too, but ... I'm worried about her. I'm not a Vampire. I can't jack hundreds of pounds about like they are nothing. I can't protect her"

Ahh. Danny is making a mistake. I make the same one all the time. "Lori isn't looking for you to protect her Danny, and least not in any way other than having her back. As humans, you might be safer than I am. I have not met these people, but the fact the Men in Black exposed their operation to us tells me it's serious, and that it's probably a bad time to be a Vampire, not a human. Your problem would probably be if they think you are a Vampire sympathizer. If you get gone, you can say you aren't one."

Danny shook his head. "You would have me deny you three times?"

"It is not a biblical reference, I am not Jesus, and these aren't the Romans after us. If you are looking for a historical analogy, it's more like they are the KKK, and Jessica, Helen, and I are a black family living in the South in the 1950s."

"Idea is the same as the Jesus one though, isn't it?"

I sighed, slightly exasperated. I love Danny's loyalty, but I hate where it put him. "Danny: I have no idea what we are dealing with. Where they are coming from. Why they hate us so much, other than some broad guessing at a Vampire Inferiority Complex. I totally just made that term up. I do not know how they feel about anything, other than they are probably all about humans staying 'pure'. It argues against you guys trying to come over, but not coming over means you have to cope with them as humans. They will probably treat you as race traitors. Criminals. At the very best they might think you victims. Drugged against your will, and used by us for our own nefarious purposes."

Danny understood, went a different way. "There also is that neither of us really have any idea where we would go. What we would do. I know Jessica and Helen have been all sorts of people over the years, but Dude! I have always been me! I like what I do. Lori loves being a Nurse, even if the pay is shit and the hours are crap."

"We... Helen and Jessica mostly, but they keep saying I share in their resources equally. Feels weird. Anyway, the point is that we have massive resources. Side note: Helen keeps saying that, and we are not even an item right now. That one is my problem, not yours. You can go anywhere in the world. Do anything. Be anyone. Want to manage a hotel in the Caribbean? Hold SciFi conventions there? Have Lori be the house medic? No problem. Or Hawaii? Run a Bed and Breakfast in Italy? Hell, I bet Helen could get you on managing McMurdo Station! It's really kind of mind-boggling, her resources. Whatever you want to do or be is open to you. No limits, other than your interests. Need Venture capital to start your own software company out in the Bay Area? New York?"