Promise Me

Jessica rubbed my back with her Vampire strong hands.

I pointed out something that while obvious to me may not be obvious to Jessica. "You know if we go up against some well-armed humans, you are going to have to stay hidden. Leave this to Helen, Morgan and I."

Jessica slowed her wonderful work. I waited. "Jessica...." I drew out her name. Sure, she is one hundred and twenty-four, over twice my strength, and the person that taught me how to kill with my bare hands. Even kill ancient Vampires far more powerful than myself. She is seven kinds of deadly. That is not the point. The point is that if she got shot or seriously injured in any way that the baby could be killed. We knew all too well from William placing a spear through Helen. That babies loss was still a raw wound.

"I know." Jessica said at last, reluctantly.

I am not sure I could believe how easily she accepted being tossed out of the center of the action. I felt the need to justify what I said. Bring up the thing even larger than losing another child. "If the Men In Black do not know about Vampire babies, we sure as hell cannot risk the goddamn human supremacists finding out. They are already hunting us. Imagine what that hunt would be like if they find out we are reproducing in the same ways as humans. You have to stay hidden! It is not only about your and my baby, though surely that is enough. Promise!" Even though I felt like putty under Jessica's strong massaging hands, I had to make this point. Get this promise from her.

Jessica said nothing, so I persisted "I'm serious my love. I want you to promise me."

Jessica sounded dismissive "Yeah, Yeah. I promise. Fucker." Jessica switched topics "You and Morgan and Helen against..what? We have no idea. Where they will come from. How."

"Me either. I have an idea on how to speed that up though."