FIFTY TWO

"Hansi?"

At the sound of his name being called, Hans averted his attention towards his twin with a curious look across his features.

"The other day, you told me you had something to tell Dani," Greta continued as she watched her brother with a careful look in her eyes.

A look of remembrance flashed across Hans' features before it was replaced by nervousness. "Mmm, I don't know if I can say," he said as he looked down at his hands.

Immediately, Greta and Dani shared a look of worry.

"What do you mean, Hans? Why wouldn't you be able to say anything?" Greta asked and frowned as he shook his head. "Hey...Hey, it's okay, Bär. You're safe here, remember?"

Dani's own lips curved into a frown as Hans sniffed and looked up at them with tearful eyes.

Greta quickly got up from her chair to sit beside and wrap her arm around him. "Hey, hey, hey, no. It's okay, Hansi. It's okay. I'm right here. You're safe. We're not going to let anything happen to you," she said to him while rubbing his arms.

Sadness washed over Dani's features as she watched Hans nod before he sniffed and looked at her as he said, "Um...mm...Ella?"

"It's okay, Hans," Dani reassured him as she reached over to grab his hand. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Hans shook his head. "No...No, I...I have to or else...or else," he shook his head again, which caused Dani to frown at Greta, who gave her the same look of worry.

"The mean...The mean lady's going to...mm I can't say it, " Hans then said and shook his head at Greta. "I can't say it, Hase.."

Greta immediately pulled her brother into her arms while Dani rubbed her thumb over his hand in comfort as tears ran down his cheeks.

"It's okay, Bär...Shh, it's okay. It's okay," Greta told him and kissed his head.

"Mm...I don't want...I don't want her to hurt Ella," Hans mumbled as his head was still on his twin's shoulder.

Dani's eyebrows furrowed as she shared a look of concern with Greta.

"You don't want who to hurt me, Hans?" she questioned in a gentle tone, which caused him to avert his eyes to her.

"The mean lady...She said-...no," he shook his head once more, "Mm, I can't, Ella. She said...She said if I did...she was going to hurt Hase."

Hans let out a sob at the thought of his twin getting hurt, which caused her to rock him in her arms as she said, "Shh shh, buggy. It's okay. No one's going to hurt me, okay?"

"Oh Hans, it's okay. You don't have to tell me anything else if you don't want to," Dani reassured him as she moved over to the other side of him.

Hans sniffed and lifted his head to look at her as he said, "But you're going to be mad at me..."

"What? I could never be mad at you, Hans," Dani said with a shake of her head. "I don't even think it's possible for me to get mad at you."

"You're telling me," Greta agreed with a small smile.

"So...So you're not...mad at me?" Hans asked with a sniff.

"Of course not, Hans. You're my best friend!!" Dani said with a smile.

Hans's features slightly lit up as he asked, "I am?... I'm still your best friend?"

"Of course you are! We're best friends forever, right?" Dani asked with a slight tilt of her head as the smile remained on her face, and it only widened as Hans' features noticeably brightened.