FORTY NINE

It had been a few days since the incident between Mikey and George, and after receiving the Okay from Mikey, John had arrested their father.

Unfortunately, the boys' aunt Rhea had convinced their uncle Elijah that she would help George to control his behavior, which Dani thought to be an absolutely ridiculous idea. To say the girl had been livid when she found out would be an understatement, but Mikey assured her that he would make daily visits to his mother's house to ensure the woman was okay since neither one of them believed his aunt Rhea could control her brother. Mikey had also told Dani that he'd called and apologized to Greta about keeping her out of things, and how she had ended up going to comfort him where he told her fully about what happened after she practically blew up in anger after seeing the bruises that still covered his face. It felt good to know that they were all in each other's lives again, but Dani also hated how bad things had to happen for them to have done so.

After spending a day of shopping with each other, Dani and Greta laughed to themselves as they walked back to the villa towards Jillian's restaurant where they were greeted by a hostess and taken to their seats.

"Ugh, it feels like I haven't been here in forever," Greta said. "You have no idea how badly I've been craving a strawberry milkshake."

Dani laughed and said, "You? When I was confined to a boring hospital room with boring hospital food for over a month? As if!!"

Greta snorted as Dani looked through the menu. "Okay. I'll give you that one," she said. "But I don't know why you're even bothering to look at that thing. We already know what we're ordering!"

A smirk curved on Dani's lips as she looked up to meet her best friend's gaze. Before the two could say anything, however, a male voice beat them to the action, and Dani's body stiffened as she immediately detected who the voice had belonged to.

"Ladies! Good afternoon. Don't you two look pretty today...Especially you, Dani. Feels good to see your face around here again."

"Oh God," Dani muttered as Greta rolled her eyes.

"Hey, waiter," the blonde said. "Pretty sure her eyes are not there...you sick perv."

The smirk was wiped off of Dylan's face as he turned to Greta and said, "Blondie. Can't say I feel the same about seeing your face."

Greta scoffed. "You say that as if that doesn't flatter me," she said. "Are you supposed to be our waiter? Do your damn job already and take our orders."

Dylan narrowed his eyes. "What do you want?"

"Two strawberry milkshakes will be fine," Dani spoke up as she was sure Greta would speak in her native tongue.

Instantly, the smirk returned to Dylan's features as he glanced at her before looking down at his notepad as he said, "Okay. Any appetizers? I know you like our fried pickles, DanDan. You know those are only $2 until five, right?"

Though she had tensed up at the nickname he'd used, Dani couldn't help the smile that formed on her lips at the sight of her best friend's excitement.

"Oh! Yes, that's right! Oh, Dani, can we please get some?!" the blonde asked while hopping in her seat.

Dani laughed and said, "As if you even have to ask!"

Dylan smirked again and said, "Alright. Two strawberry milkshakes and an order of fried pickles. Try not to miss me too much while I'm gone, okay, princess?"

Greta scoffed as Dani sighed when Dylan walked off to retrieve their orders.

"He's so pathetic," the blonde muttered. "And such a creep. God, I can't wait for the day Mikey beats his ass."