SEVENTY ONE

Police cars lined up the front yard as Dani limped out of the house behind John and Mikey. With a wheezing cough, she leaned up against the wall and held onto her stomach with a wince. Although he had taken the bullet out of her and used his abilities to heal her, it was clear Henry had still wanted her to feel pain as he hadn't taken away the feeling of being shot. That, combined with the energy she had wasted on fighting Alice had made her feel much weaker than she had when she had first arrived.

Which sent her even more on edge than before.

"Nell!! Hey, hey, are you alright?!" Jack questioned while running over to Dani.

"I...I'm fine," she said and held onto Jack's arm when he wrapped it around her waist.

"No, no, let's get you to a paramedic, okay? Come on," Jack told her softly while picking her up in his arms.

"Mikey," Dani mumbled as she watched her boyfriend be lifted into the back of an ambulance.

"He's going to be fine, okay? Let's make sure you're going to be fine too," Jack reassured her as he placed her onto a stretcher.

A groan left Dani's mouth as her side suddenly flared up in pain, which caused Jack to widen his eyes.

"Nell?! Are you okay?! What's wrong?!" he asked, but Dani pushed him away as she leaned over to pour out the contents of her stomach. "Oh my God!"

Dani groaned while wiping at her mouth before her eyes widened in horror as she pulled her hand back to see it covered in blood.

"You think...because you stopped me that it's over?" Alice's voice suddenly called out, which made Dani look up to see her smirking at her as she was being pulled away by more officers.

"You of all people should know that Henry doesn't go down without a fight. Let's see if you're smart enough to figure out what his next plan is," she spat before being pushed into the back of a police car.

Dani's breathing became heavy as she looked back down at her hand in fear. "Jack...Jack, I have to get home," she mumbled with her gaze still on her hand. "Let me go home. I need to go home!!"

"What?! No, Nell, you need to go to the hospital!" Jack said before furrowing his brows as he groaned softly and held onto his head. "Nell..."

"Jack, please!! Please let me go home!!" Dani begged as she began to rise from the stretcher.

"Nell," Jack mumbled again as he stumbled on his feet. "Nell, I can't...Ugh, my head."

Finally hearing his words, Dani looked up with a frown and grabbed onto Jack's arms as the man stumbled again. "Jack?!" she questioned. "Hey, are you okay?! What's wrong?!"

"My...My head, Nell," Jack said. "I'm...I'm so tired...Why am I so tired? I can't sleep...You need my help."

"You're tired?" Dani asked and shook her head as he began to close his eyes. "Hey...Hey, no, Jack, look at me!! Can you do that?! Can you look at me?! Please, Jack, look at me!!"

"I'm so tired, Nell," he mumbled. "I'm sorry."

Dani cried out as Jack fell unconscious on the ground, and as she parted her mouth to call out for help, she looked up and gasped in horror at the sight of all the remaining cops and paramedics passed out on the ground.

"No!" she cried out and dropped down to hold Jack in her arms. "Jack?! Jack, please, wake up!! You have to wake up, Jack, please!!"

Almost Showtime, my little beauty.

Dani looked up with tearful eyes and shouted, "What did you do?! What the hell did you do?!"