SIXTY EIGHT

The next morning, Dani laid on the couch with her brother, who was snuggled up on her side as they watched Clifford on the TV. It had officially been a full day since Mikey had left, and the initial sadness she had felt from it had slowly increased its presence in her system. In an attempt to help get her mind off of it, Frankie had suggested they both watch cartoons together, while Pinocchio had decided to distract her by texting her stories of all the places he had been to.

Though she had found both gestures to be sweet, Dani knew the only way she would feel better was by talking to the person she had missed the most.

And she knew it wouldn't come anytime soon.

"Ellie," Frankie mumbled with a pout. "You're not paying attention again."

"What?" Dani asked and shook her head. "Oh...sorry, bud. I was just thinking about things."

"Yeah," Frankie said with narrowed eyes. "Thinking about that poopy-faced Mikey!!"

Dani raised her brows as Michelle called out, "Franklin James! Mind your words!" from the kitchen, which then caused her to snort.

"Since when is he a poopy face again, bud? I thought you two were friends now?" she asked.

Frankie folded his arms and said, "He can't be my friend if he keeps making you sad! He promised not to make you cry anymore and he broke it! So now he's a poopyface until I say so!"

"Franklin James!!"

Dani snorted again as Frankie huffed and rolled his eyes.

"Frankie," Michelle warned while walking into the room. "I know you're upset, but those words are not nice to say. Whatever it is that's happening between your sister and Mikey is just between them right now. Everything will be fine again soon and they'll be happier than ever. Just you wait."

Dani sighed as she knew her mother had directed the last words towards her and she looked away.

"But Ellie's sad, Momma. It's not fair. Why does he always make her sad? Why can't he always make her happy?" Frankie asked with a pout.

"Because he's a manchild who can't control his emotions-"

"Daniella Janine."

Dani sighed again as her mother gave her a stern look.

"His feelings are valid just like yours are right now. Don't do that," the woman told her. "How would you feel if the roles were switched and he told you that he did what you had done with another girl?"

Dani narrowed her eyes. "I'd chop his-"

"Daniella!!"

The girl huffed and turned away from her mother while mumbling, "I'd feel the same way."

"Exactly," Michelle said with a nod. "Just give him time, sweetheart. He'll come back around soon. I'm sure of it."

Dani frowned as she played with her blanket and asked, "And how do you know that? I've probably lost him forever now."

Michelle rolled her eyes with a snort as she began to walk back into the kitchen. "You're such a little drama queen. That boy wouldn't leave you for anything in the world, you know that," she said. "And the fact that he didn't immediately cut things off with you should tell you everything you need to know."

Knowing the woman was right, Dani sighed and laid her head on the couch as she looked at her brother. "Hey, bud?"

Frankie gave her a curious look in response.