FOURTEEN

"Are you kidding me?!" Michelle's voice groaned out in frustration from the kitchen.

Dani frowned as she got up from her spot on the couch to make her way over to her mother while asking, "What's wrong, Mom?"

"Frankie suggested we have breakfast for dinner tonight, but I completely forgot to pick up eggs on my way home," Michelle said with a sigh.

"No eggies?!" Frankie asked with a gasp.

"Don't worry, bud. You'll get your eggies. I'll go get them for you, okay?" Dani reassured her brother while kneeling to his level.

Frankie smiled while nodding his head, which made her smile back.

Michelle shook her head as she started to say, "Oh no, Dani, I couldn't possibly-"

"Mom, it's okay...they're just eggs. I'll be back in a few minutes," Dani reassured her mother while standing back up.

Michelle gave her daughter an appreciative smile. "Thank you, babydoll," she said as she began to dig in her pocket to get the money, but Dani stopped her again.

"Seriously, Mom. They're just eggs. I'll pay for them and everything," she said with a shrug.

Michelle shook her head again with another smile as she asked, "What did I do to deserve such an angel of a daughter?"

Dani snorted as she turned around to leave while saying, "You're so dramatic. I'll be back."

"Wait! Ellie!!"

Dani's eyebrows raised as she turned back around to face her running brother. "Yes, Monkey?"

"Can you please get me some em-a-mems?" Frankie asked as she knelt down.

Dani snorted and asked, "Can I get you some what?"

"Em-a-mems!" Frankie said with a grin. "I promise I won't eat them till after dinner! Pretty please?"

Dani raised an eyebrow. "Did you ask Mom?"

"Mm," Frankie mumbled while looking away. "I was gonna..."

"Frankie..."

"Pretty please," he begged with puppy dog eyes. "I promise you'll be my favorite big sister in the whole entire world!"

"I'm your only big sister," Dani said with a snort. "But I'll tell you what, I'll get you those em-a-mems if you promise to share some with me. That way, if Mom catches us with them, we'll both be in trouble. How about that?"

"Okay, Ellie!" Frankie said and gave her a hug. "Thank you! I love you bigger than I love dinosaurs!"

"Woah!" Dani exclaimed. "Bigger than you love dinosaurs?! You must love me a whole lot, then!"

"Mhm!" Frankie said as he pulled away. "You're the bestest big sister ever!"

Dani laughed and said, "And you're the bestest little brother ever! I'm going to go now, okay? I'll be back in a little bit."

"Okay!" Frankie said and hurried off to the living room.

Dani snorted as she watched him go. Little sneak knew exactly what to do to get what he wanted out of her.

They really were related, weren't they?

With a shake of her head, Dani turned back around to head out the door and off to the grocery store.

Making her way out of the store and back to her car with the bag of eggs and Frankie's em-a-mems in her hands, a sudden wave of uneasiness rolled over Dani, which caused her to frown.