TWENTY SIX

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS THEMES OF BLOOD AND DESCRIPTIONS OF DEATH!⚠️

"So, I got a message from your dad today...turns out he's going to be out longer than expected this time around," Michelle informed her children as they finally, according to Frankie, sat down for dinner.

Dani immediately tensed up at her words as Frankie pouted.

"He texted you that?"

"Aww, really? Why?"

The siblings then narrowed their eyes at each other as they had both asked their questions at the same time.

Michelle sent her daughter a confused look before she decided to answer her son first.

"I'm afraid so, bubs. His boss extended his assignment for a few days longer. He'll be back soon though, don't worry...and he even said he has a surprise for us!!" she informed the boy with a smile.

Frankie's features lit up with excitement. "Really?! A surprise?!"

Dani's blood ran cold as she thought back to the other night.

I caught that weak fool of a man you call father as soon as he left town, Henry's voice echoed in her head before she gasped in shock at the feeling of a hand over hers, and looked up to meet the worried stare of her mother.

"Dani sweetheart, are you alright?" Michelle asked, and Frankie nodded.

"Yeah, sissy! You look like you saw a ghost!" he exclaimed.

Michelle gave the boy a look that caused him to shrug and say, "She did, Momma! And you told me I'm not apposed to lie!"

Michelle then sighed and shook her head as she looked back at her daughter. "Dani?"

"I uh...yeah...I'm okay," Dani stammered while nodding slowly.

Michelle raised an eyebrow.

"Really, Mom, I'm okay. I'm just thinking about what the surprise could be," Dani reassured her mother with a soft smile.

Frankie perked back up at his sister's statement as he said, "I think it's a doggy!! Do you think it's a doggy, Ellie?!"

Finding his excitement to be sweet, Dani smiled and said, "I hope so, bud...I really do."

A knock on her bedroom door caused a wave of hope to swim in Dani's veins before it was replaced with disappointment as she turned to see her mother walk through the door.

"Well, don't get too excited, Dani baby! It's only me," Michelle said with a sarcastic smile as she walked in, and tears immediately formed in Dani's eyes as her mother's words reminded her heavily of her stepfather.

Michelle's playful mood was quickly replaced by concern as she sat down beside her daughter on the bed and asked, "Dani, what's wrong, sweetheart? Talk to me."

The tears seemed to fall as Dani realized that she couldn't tell her mother exactly what was wrong, which caused Michelle to frown even more as she pulled the girl into her arms.

"Oh, sweetheart, please talk to me. Talk to Momma," she murmured while rubbing her daughter's back.

"I just...I just miss David...that's all," Dani told her mother with a sniff.

Michelle pulled away to give her daughter a soft smile and said, "Oh honey, it's okay. This is his first time away in years and with everything that's been going on... It's understandable that you'd miss him. You don't have to hide that from anyone."