SIXTEEN

"Ellie," Frankie cried into his sister's shoulder as he continued to hug her tightly.

Ignoring the pain that came with the action, Dani squeezed him back just as tight and placed multiple kisses to the side of his head.

"I know, I know...you're okay, bud...I'm okay...We're okay. He's gone...It's going to be alright," she reassured him.

"Ellie," Frankie mumbled with a sniff as he pulled back to face her.

Dani frowned as he rubbed his eyes. "What is it, baby? What's wrong?"

"I'm sorry," Frankie said and let out a sob. "I used the potty."

Dani's features saddened as she rubbed her brother's back while saying, "Oh sweetie, it's okay. No one's mad at you for that, it's alright. Are you okay? Did he touch you?!"

Frankie shook his head. "No, he just chased me...I didn't mean to do it, Ellie. I was scared. I heard you screaming."

Before she could speak, the sound of rushing footsteps filled Dani's ears before they both turned around to see their mother run into the room.

"Oh, thank God!!" Michelle cried out in relief, and Frankie instantly pulled away from his sister at the sound of her voice to run over to her.

"Mommy!!" he cried out as she bent down to squeeze him in her arms.

"You're okay, baby. Shh, you're okay. Momma's here, Momma's here," Michelle cooed to her son and pressed kisses to his face.

Dani stood up to her feet just in time for David to enter the room, and as soon as they made eye contact, she could feel herself breaking as tears formed in her eyes.

"Come here, baby girl," he said as he opened up his arms.

With a sob, Dani ran over to him and hugged him tightly.

"Oh, Dani...you're okay. It's alright. I'm here...We're here," David whispered to his daughter as she sobbed into his shoulder.

"Momma...Daddy," Frankie mumbled with a sniff, which caused them to look at him.

"Yes, sweetie? Are you okay?! What's wrong?!" Michelle asked.

Frankie began to cry as he said, "I...I'm not a big boy anymore...I didn't...make it to the potty."

Dani frowned as Michelle and David shook their heads, and he said, "Oh, bub. It's okay. You're still a very big boy. We're not mad at you for that, okay?"

Michelle nodded and kissed Frankie's head as she said, "Exactly. We're just so glad you're not hurt, baby. We love you so much."

Before anyone could say anything else, a sudden cry left Dani's mouth as a flash of pain shot through her leg before it focused on her ankle, and David immediately caught her in his arms as she began to fall to the floor.

"Dani?!"

"Ellie?!"

"My ankle," Dani gasped out while holding a firm grip on David's coat. "It's my ankle, it hurts!"

"Shh, shh, We're going to go get you some help, okay?" David reassured her as he turned around to walk out of the room. "You're going to be okay. It's going to be alright, I promise."

And though his words were meant to be reassuring...they had felt anything but.

Thirty minutes later, Dani sat outside on a gurney with a blanket wrapped around her as a paramedic checked her over. Apparently, someone who was out for a late-night run had heard their screams from inside and called the police a few minutes before Michelle and David got home.