FORTY ONE

A small scowl sat on Dani's lips as she sat in a chair beside her mother.

"Would you stop being so pouty? Dr.S says this will help you with expressing your emotions," Michelle said from Dani's right, making the girl roll her eyes as she sank further into the chair.

"I didn't need any help. I was fine handling it on my own," she lied through gritted teeth.

A snort of amusement from her left caused Dani to narrow her eyes at the source of it.

"You keep telling yourself that, Dani...maybe it'll come true," David said as he sat down in his chair after informing the receptionist of their arrival.

Dani rolled her eyes again and folded her arms, not at all liking the situation she was forced to be in by her parents and doctor.

As it turned out, her parents actually had been aware of her change in attitude recently and had spoken with Dr.S about it. They had already planned for her to see a therapist after she had come back to life since they had figured an event like that would surely mess her brain up, and yesterday's ordeal was just the icing on the cake. Luckily, they had made the call just in time as a therapist had an opening spot early in the morning, thus sending them to where they currently waited.

With Henry's threat still fresh in her mind, Dani hadn't felt comfortable with getting help anymore. Of course, she had still wanted it...she needed it...she just didn't feel safe receiving it.

The ticking of the clock ringing in her ears caused the girl to groan as her patience had slowly reached its maximum. "Where the hell is she so I can get this over with already?!" she asked with a scowl.

Michelle sent her daughter a scolding look as she hit the girl on the shoulder and said, "Will you stop it, Dani? Aren't you twenty years old? Act like it."

Dani rolled her eyes for what seemed like the millionth time just as a woman walked up to the front, and Dani's eyes narrowed as she took in her features: Blonde hair and grayish-blue eyes. Another groan left her mouth as she realized who her new therapist was.

An amused smile curved on Mrs.Lock's lips as she said, "Well. It's nice to see you too, Dani."

Dani gave the woman a fake smile back as she slowly rose from her chair. "The feeling is not mutual," she mumbled before pouting as she felt someone hit her back.

"Be nice," David scolded as Michelle gave her an encouraging smile.

"Good luck, honey! Remember, she's just trying to help, okay?" she said.

Dani frowned, knowing she'd been defeated as she turned her head towards her mother and said, "I know Momma...I'll try, okay?... For you."

Michelle's smile brightened as she stood up to kiss her daughter's head. "That's my girl," she whispered while giving Dani a light squeeze.

Dani smiled in her mother's embrace before raising an eyebrow as another voice caught her attention.

"Hey, what about me?" David questioned in mock offense.

Dani snorted. "Sorry, but she gave birth to me," she said with a shrug and smirked as he rolled his eyes.

"That's not even fair," David muttered as he sank into his chair with his arms crossed.

Dani shook her head in amusement before turning her attention back to her new therapist as she walked towards her, and she was completely aware of her mother playfully scolding the grown manchild she'd married behind her as she walked away.

"Good morning, Dani. How are you feeling today?" Mrs.Locks asked as she guided Dani down the hallway.

"I'm fine," Dani mumbled while taking in her surroundings.