FORTY

"You know, Little Red...I am just a figment of your imagination.."

Dani rolled her eyes and turned around to meet Henry's smirking figure. When he sent her a finger wave, she narrowed them.

"Yeah, and for some reason, I'm starting to like your presence a little bit more than my family's right now," she mumbled, but he heard her loud and clear as amusement lit up his features.

"Oh, really? Is that so?" he asked in a tone that made her roll her eyes again.

"Don't flatter yourself, Wolff," Dani muttered and turned around to walk out the door, and she internally groaned as she sensed him following behind her.

For some reason, Dani's dreams were always set in Henry's house, but knowing him, she figured the wolf had probably planned them to be that way somehow to remind her of the last thing he'd taken away from her.

"Will you stop following me?" the girl slightly snapped as she turned to face him with an annoyed look. "Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

Henry gave her an honest look of disbelief as he asked, "Did you not just tell me you prefer my presence over that of your own family?"

"But does that mean I suddenly like you? No. So go away!" Dani said and flinched as he suddenly appeared in front of her.

Henry looked down at her with darkened eyes of anger as he said, "Let me make this clear, Little Red. Don't you confuse the fact that I haven't attacked you in a while with me allowing you to live."

Dani flinched again as he leaned in closer so that his breath fanned over her face.

"I know you're still very much afraid of me, sweetheart. And I know that you value living for the sake of your little brother...It would be a shame for me to just take that all away from you now, wouldn't it?"

Understanding the underlying threat in his tone, Dani nodded quickly as her heartbeat had started to increase.

Henry's lips curved up into his signature smirk as he said, "Good," before backing away, which caused her to breathe out in relief.

"If you're not here to kill me...then why are you here?" she asked in a quiet yet curious tone after calming herself down.

Instead of answering her question, Henry just smirked as he shrugged his shoulders, which made the girl internally sigh as she realized that he wasn't going to give her a proper answer.

"I'll let you know when the time comes," he simply said and turned away. "In the meantime, you should be waking up now."

Dani's eyebrows furrowed as she looked at him, confused, and asked, "What?"

"Wake up, Little Red," Henry's voice said as he began to fade away. "Wake up...Wake up.."

A groan left Dani's mouth as she slowly began to wake up. Her eyes opened and instantly shut again as she was met with the blinding light of the sun as it glared at her through the window.

Ever since her realistic nightmare about Henry, he had been appearing in her dreams almost every night. Of course, she was scared out of her mind at first, but as the dreams went on, Dani had kind of gotten used to him being around. The more he appeared, the less murderous he would become, and though it sounded absolutely crazy to say...her dreams were becoming far more welcoming than her current reality.

It had been two weeks since she'd messed things up with Greta, and they hadn't talked since..., and Dani didn't know which breakup had hurt the most. Though she may have known Mikey longer, Greta and Dani had grown as close as sisters over the years.