SIXTY SEVEN

"Dad. Dad. Dad...We're talking to Pinocchio!!" Dani exclaimed as she continued to hop in place, though she had also taken to hitting his arm in excitement.

Pinocchio grinned widely at the girl's reaction while David sighed and placed a hand over his daughter's.

"Yes, we've established that already, sweetheart," he said in a bored tone.

A pout formed on Dani's lips as she finally stopped her hopping. "How are you not excited?! This is Pinocchio we're talking about!!" she said and looked at the said man with a wide grin.

Pinocchio winked while giving them a finger wave.

"Because I'm a grown man?" David said before sighing. "And you're supposed to be a grown woman Dani, now stop it."

Another pout formed on Dani's features as she said, "You're no fun."

She then held a hand up to her head and gripped her father's arm tightly as she suddenly felt weak. "And neither are you!!"

"Uh, I'm no doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, right?" Pinocchio asked while slowly walking over to them.

"Thanks for the pointer, Captain Obvious," David muttered as he held onto Dani's waist.

"I'm fine...I'm fine," the girl told them as her vision cleared up. "I guess I used a little too much of the energy I have left."

Pinocchio hummed as he stood in front of them and examined Dani with furrowed brows, and she shifted on her feet at his intense gaze on her.

"Huh," he mumbled while tilting her chin up.

"Hey, watch it," David warned.

Seemingly unaffected by the warning, Pinocchio glanced at David before he let go of Dani's chin.

"This is worse than I thought," he whispered while looking between her eyes. "Hm. Well."

He stepped back with a smile. "I have my work cut out for me, don't I? Let's get this started, shall we?"

Dani's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as a small frown formed on her lips and she asked, "Wait...you're just willing to help me?"

Pinocchio nodded. "Yep."

"Just like that?" she questioned with an eyebrow raised.

A smirk grew on his features as he shrugged. "Anything for my biggest fan," he said with a wink.

Dani's cheeks burned in slight embarrassment as she thought about her reaction to learning who he was, and noticing the look she had, Pinocchio grinned.

"Wait, wait, wait," David cut in as he looked at Pinocchio in suspicion. "What's in it for you, toyboy?"

"Dad!" Dani scolded as Pinocchio narrowed his eyes. "What are you doing?! Stop that!"

"You come to me in the hopes of me being able to help your daughter, and when finding out that I actually can, your first thought is to insult me?" Pinocchio asked and laughed through his nose. "I may look young, but my age still adds up. Not all of me is still a child. Don't forget that."

David narrowed his eyes back, but before he could say anything, Dani grabbed his arm again and gave him a pleading look as she said, "Daddy, stop. Can't you see that he's willing to help me? We don't have any other options left, and we are running on a time limit. So can you just...please let him help?"

"Yes, can you please let me help?" Pinocchio repeated with a mocking pout.

Dani gave him a look. "You're not helping your case here."