╰☆☆ Oᖴ ᔕᑌᑎᔕᕼIᑎE ᗩᑎᗪ ᗷᖇIGᕼTᑎEᔕᔕ ☆☆╮

his job was to be there, to reflect emotions.
he existed purely for the enjoyment of others.

*☆*――*☆*――*☆*――*☆*――*☆*――*☆*――*☆*――*☆*

the door cracked open and silence seemed to blow through the room instead of a drought. all heads had turned to the door, fixated on the handle as if it determined their end of year examinations.

jeongin tugged at chan's sleeve, a form of interaction commonly used by the younger. chan lowered his head to the younger boy's height.

"it's seungminnie's friend, hyungie!" he murmured excitedly in his elder's pierced ear.

chan granted jeongin a small smile and nodded slightly, before raising his head to stare intensely at the door again. a hand with long, slim fingers had a firm grip of the handle.

the suspense grew as bright voices where heard, one singed with a slight accent. as the door was opened, a loud laugh was heard and their form tutor recognised it immediately. he didn't say anything and instead opted for watching the amusing sight before him.

the door swung open and revealed the secretary and cover chinese teacher, mr. wen. he smiled at the students obviously trying to look at the figure behind him and locked glances with mr. xu. he spoke with a fond smile as he mentioned that there was a new student who wanted to introduce themselves.

mr. xu nodded and walked up to the door, still blocking the view of the new kid as he not-so-subtly slipped his hand into mr. wen's.

"anything i need to know about him, babe?" he smiled up at the taller man as he shook his head, the daft, sappy look never disappearing from his face.

"not that i know of," he responded in their native tongue, "i'll let you know if i hear of anything you might want to find out."

they continued to have their lovesick moment until wonpil coughed loudly. jaehyun glared at him.
"that was cute, why'd you ruin it?"

the teachers looked up in appreciation and voiced their agreement before glaring at wonpil. mr. wen could hear the insults the other teacher muttered under his breath (snake, pencil looking headass) but didn't mind the profanity and continued to stare in awe and adoration.

wonpil coughed again and this time it did something. the teachers broke apart and mr. xu beckoned the mystery boy forward, closer to the door. him and their form tutor had a small conversation, in which chan was sure he heard mr. xu apologise for his form, before the teacher stood upright again.

he pecked mr. wen on the cheek, who smiled and returned the action.
"bye junnie, i'll see you later!"
mr. wen left with a promise to return to 'his haohao' later in the day. mr. xu waved his boyfriend off down the corridor and smiled at the new student. he gestured towards the classroom and nodded slightly, before opening the door to allow him forward.

as he walked in, chan's breath refused to move past his throat.

he didn't know what did it, maybe the way his tan skin seemed to glow or how his smile could disintegrate shadows, but chan found it hard to tear his focus away from the ray of sunshine presented to him.

☀️

"hello everyone, i'm kim woojin and i'll be in your form for this year. please take care of me." he beamed at the students in his line of vision.

as soon as the tension was created, it was destroyed. the sentence ended a millisecond before the usual hustle of the form room began. woojin, wide eyed, looked around in bewilderment. where had he gone wrong? had he gone wrong at all?

apparently not, he though, as a loud "woojinnie hyung!" caught his attention. he responded with a loving "seungmin-ah" and a large grin before walking over to greet his cousin and the small circle of people dotted around him.

there were two very short boys: one with his arms wrapped stubbornly around another boy and one glaring at seungmin as if he was the reason for all illness and disease. the latter male had a foreign boy following his every move with clear adoration in his eyes. there were three others: one quietly tugging on another's sleeve and one looking as if he owned the room and everything in it.

woojin smiled widely at the boys in front of him before introducing himself as seungmin's cousin. the figures took turns to quiet down and introduce themselves, before bombarding the eldest with questions that ranged from a flirty "how do you like your eggs in the morning?" to a darker tone: "what do you think happens after you die?"

woojin grinned before patiently answering each question in turn (carefully avoiding the more risqué ones).

🌑

he did it again.

he grinned like he owned the universe.

who let him do that?

in some alternate universe, chan could feel jeongin pulling at his arms and trying to get his attention but he let it slip past his focus. something was different about this boy and chan was determined to understand why he was so drawn to him.

he glanced up at the smiling man and tried to pull his features into a similar shape to the tan boy's. chan's smile didn't seem to reach his cheeks the same way and he couldn't feel the familiar warmth he got from completing another's emotions. he couldn't reflect kim woojin's feelings, for kim woojin was too bright.

kim woojin was blindingly happy and chan didn't realise how unprepared he was to deal with that.

looking back trough his files of memories, he could never remember being that luminous; he could never remember brightening a room just by being in it. the thing he loved most was helping other people enjoy themselves and although it was made harder by his muted contentment, he had never once given up.

chan had never given up on his dream. he had stayed in this world purely to allow the people he cared about the most to thrive happily.

he had thought that they needed him, that he was irreplaceable to them, but as he watched them question the tan beauty, he realised just how wrong he was.

woojin was everything he wanted to be and more. his feelings were his and his alone. his smile was brighter than the summer sky. his skin was warmer than the warmest hug chan could give.

and so, chan sat with an uncomfortable stomach and a sick taste in his mouth and proceeded to smile up at the perfect family, waiting to be told he wasn't needed for much longer.

🌑