19

Alex's POV

I blinked open my eyes and my vision steadied. I jumped for a second waking up in someone else's house before remembering that I was at Jeffersons.

Then I screamed.

I scrambled out of bed immediately falling on the floor with a thump. I clutched my side which was still bruised. I saw Jefferson get up and rub his head with his hand.

"Hamilton at least wake me up nicely if you have to wake me up at all."

"That's the only thing you have to say to me after I wake up in your arms?"

"Well, when you put it like that it sounds gay."

"No really? I wake up in a man's arms with no explanation."

"Well you're the one making me sounds like a gay perv."

"I don't know are you?"

"Lucky for you in not and that was the only thing I could do to stop you from shaking last night."

I climbed back onto the bed.

"Explain."

"Well I woke up to your kid screaming like someone was getting murdered and I go to yell at you for not handling him then you're in bed shaking and cry so James and I help Philip and then the only way to stop you shaking was to comfort you like that I guess."

"Sorry about that, I'm guessing it was stormy?"

"All night, want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"All right but change into some clean clothes those are filthy."

I waved to the clothes I had on.

"These happen to be the only ones I have over here."

Jefferson gave me an annoyed look before walking out of the room.

I couldn't believe it. The first night here and I already screwed up. I put my head in my arms he would probably kick me out. He was just doing this because he felt guilty. I didn't earn this I would just go back to living in my own apartment. That's it then, it was nice while it lasted but all good things have to end.

Jefferson walked in and threw a white button-up shirt and a pair of jeans.

"They are small on me so they might fit." He turned around. "Try them on."

I took off the shirt I had on and grabbed the white one.

"Listen, it's been really kind of you to let me stay here but I'm going home."

He whipped around.

"What?!"

His face then fell and I realized what he saw and grabbed the shirt and covered my bony chest.

"Oh my god."

I jolted up. "I swear I can explain."

He pulled me close for a hug and squeezed me close.

"Why didn't you say anything?" He whispered.

I felt the walls closing in and I shoved him away. "What was I supposed to do? Let Philip starve?"

He looked at me concerned. "Don't leave, I can help you."

I averted my eyes. "Guilt can only get you so far in life. I've got my self so far alone and I can get myself out of this alone."

"Sometimes you just need a helping hand."

I tossed the white shirt back at him and grabbed mine slipping it on.

"Thanks but no."

I walked out of the room about to close the door when I heard him yell behind me.

"What's best for Philip?"

I turned back around.

"That's the first time you've used his name."

"I'm not doing this out of guilt, I'm doing this because I actually care believe it or not."

He handed the shirt back to me.

"I think James is making breakfast, take a shower and change because no offense but you smell horrible and I'll meet you in the kitchen."